Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Getting back into your wheelchair from the floor

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I turn my Ride Custom cushion upside down. It's doesn't give at all and provides about 3-4" of height above the floor. From there I can usually lift myself onto a couch. The key word is usually. Getting old.
    I can relate. Before my laminectomy, I could get on hands (although fisted) and knees, then grab anything to get up. No longer can do (I hate saying that). I try like hell before 911ing. Telling them that I am not injured may have helped with multi visits and no charge. I need to ask my local officials about this as it's common for small localities to charge after X number of calls per year.
    Common sense learning of what put me on floor and how to avoid it has helped a lot. Bath tube sticky mat beside bed has been my saviour many times. C3 quad, can wobble better than walk.

Thought I'd update this thread. I found a lightweight, portable, and cheap step stool that works to help me off the ground and back onto my chair, couch, or bed. It's called the Range Kleen SS2. It's available on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Range-Kleen-S...dp/B007EEG7M0/. What's great is that these plastic step stools are very thin when folded up. I also think the handles can be useful. I first ordered one, tested it for floor transfers, and then ordered several more and placed them around my house so that there will always be one convenient in the inconvenient situation that I end up on the floor. The solution isn't perfect (steps are just wide enough), but it works for me and it's a whole lot more cost effective than the para ladder.

Edit: I should add that these step stools are currently $36 on Amazon. I ordered four additional stools from another site (https://www.campingworld.com/folding...%2Fstep-stools) during a sale for $92, including shipping and tax. It looks like they've raised the price a tad since then, but they're currently offering a 15% discount off of the website list price ($33.76). The sale ends on 9/24/19, but I think the site offers special promo codes relatively often. I also wouldn't rule out searching Google for "Range Kleen SS2" to see what kind of deals turn up. That's how I stumbled upon Camping World.
    Last edited by ABQwheelin; 09-26-2019 at 05:11 AM. Reason: added new material

Quote Originally Posted by ABQwheelin View Post
    Thought I'd update this thread. I found a lightweight, portable, and cheap step stool that works to help me off the ground and back onto my chair, couch, or bed. It's called the Range Kleen SS2. It's available on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Range-Kleen-S...dp/B007EEG7M0/. What's great is that these plastic step stools are very thin when folded up. I also think the handles can be useful. I first ordered one, tested it for floor transfers, and then ordered several more and placed them around my house so that there will always be one convenient in the inconvenient situation that I end up on the floor. The solution isn't perfect (steps are just wide enough), but it works for me and it's a whole lot more cost effective than the paraladder.

Edit: I should add that these step stools are currently $36 on Amazon, but I ordered four more of them from another site (https://www.campingworld.com/folding...%2Fstep-stools) during a sale for $92, including shipping and tax. It looks like they've raised the price a tad since then, but they're currently offering a 15% discount off of the website list price ($33.76). It looks like the sale will end on 9/24/19, but the deal I got had a similar promo code during a sale the website offered during Amazon's Prime Day this past July so I wouldn't be surprised if there are more special promos in the future. I also wouldn't rule out searching Google for "Range Kleen SS2" to see what kind of deals turn up. That's how I stumbled upon Camping World.
    This is a great tip, thanks for directing us here! I'm going to try one.

Have you used a cushion on the steps for transfers or would that be overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by Jades View Post
    This is a great tip, thanks for directing us here! I'm going to try one.

Have you used a cushion on the steps for transfers or would that be overkill?
    I use my wheelchair cushion off the floor, but I have not tried any type of cushion on either of the steps. I don't think I could add any meaningful cushion to the steps themselves. It takes a lot for me to get up each step. I imagine I would knock off any cushion I tried to place on either of the steps.

One more thing to add. When lifting myself up, I put one hand on my carefully positioned chair and one hand on the step stool. I haven't been able to lift myself onto either step only using the step stool itself. This is where I imagine the handles on the para ladder really come in handy.

Jades, let us know how it works for you! Best of luck!

Here is what I have. Two Wheel Hydraulic Platform Lift Truck-Foot Operated . Change it over and buy a electic 110 volt winch. I have 2 of these. Your spare ROHO fits perfect. Goggle search it. I even glued a piece of carpet to the platform. You have to weld a plate at the top of it then weld a good size ring to the platform for a hook. Have used this for 40 years now.
    https://handtrucks2go.com/Two-Wheel-....html....model 2600015 or look for Wesco 2 wheel cart 2600015. They are easier to convert because they use a wheel at the top of lift and you can mount the winch lower and buy the cable winch. Total cost today would be close to 1500 dollars. What is nice you can be on it and slide it once you get it close to were you want to go. I use it to get on my lawnmowers and working over the fender of my car. The one I added more steal to the bottom of it and made a bigger platform. I can roll my chair on it and lift myself up to change light blubs in my garage and working on cars. I bought the 1500 pound electric lift. I see after I posted it the link won't work. But you can find it on the Wesco site on goggle.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    Here is what I have. Two Wheel Hydraulic Platform Lift Truck-Foot Operated . Change it over and buy a electic 110 volt winch. I have 2 of these. Your spare ROHO fits perfect. Goggle search it. I even glued a piece of carpet to the platform. You have to weld a plate at the top of it then weld a good size ring to the platform for a hook. Have used this for 40 years now.
    https://handtrucks2go.com/Two-Wheel-....html....model 2600015 or look for Wesco 2 wheel cart 2600015.
    Your link didn't work for me. I assume you mean this?

https://handtrucks2go.com/Two-Wheel-...m-Stacker.html

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yup that's the 2 I have. Thanks KLD. They are made by Wesco. I have the 54 inch high model. They also make a 40 inch model I see now. You have to be able to make things as I was a Tool and Die Maker. Don't cheap out on the winch. I bought the warn 1500 pound winch. Never had any problems with it. You need to take care of it because if it breaks you could really get hurt. Why I said get a good winch. And keep hand and finger from under the base incase anything happens.
    Anybody trying this needs the right tools to build this.
    Art

After 44 years in a wheelchair if I fall out of my chair I don't have the strength in my arm anymore to get into my chair. That's 26 inches up to get back into chair. About 10 years ago it was winter and I thought the ground was froze enough as I wanted to get something in my electric chair. I went to back up in a electric rear wheel drive chair and the front wheels sank into the mud some. Tried to back up front wheels would not swivel and back wheels started to dig into the ground. No gloves or coat on either. No phone had to do something fast or freeze to death. So I took my feet off the foot rest and moved them to the side and lowered myself to the ground staying on my side as not to injure my skinny ass. Moved the front wheels and moved the joystick to back it up and they just spun the tires. So I rocked the chair and the joystick to move back and it finally got on solid ground. Now have frozen had to get back in chair. Well I didn't have the balls to lift myself in the chair. So I got my hands on the arm rest on my stomach moved side to side to get my knees up drag myself close to chair and with my arms and head got halfway up then twisted myself and finally got back into chair. Only 6 feet away from the darn door and by the time I got back in heated garage I stayed in front of furnace about 1/2 hour. After that went into bed to check out the damage and knees were scraped up as well as the top of my feet as my shoes came off getting back into chair. Took a shower and cleaned myself up and it took about 4 weeks for all the scrapes to heal. I was very carefull as not to hurt a shoulder doing all that as that would be a really bad deal as the same as my skinny ass. 20 years ago that be no big deal as I could get from ground to chair with no problems. But as you get older you loose the muscle to do that. Now any time I go in the yard I take a shovel with me and cell phone just in case. If that happened today no way I could try that. I would just have to call 911 as I no I don't have it in me to do that again. 20 years ago in the early winter was going around the side of the house in the same type of chair and it slide off the concrete the rear wheel went off the side and as it was tipping over sideways I rolled as it hit the ground. Back then had the muscle to get on my roho push the chair back up and slide it back on the sidewalk and just lifted myself back in. No big deal then. 20 years ago when it happened I could pick up a 5 gallon water jug by the neck and just lift it up 30 inches on a 2x4 on my legs to put it on the water cooler. Today I can only maybe just lift that same 5 gallon water jug maybe a inch off the floor. Sucks I no but as you get older you just wear down.
    Art

Well Art. One thing for sure. You are not alone. I probably would have pooped my pants trying to get back up and in the chair.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.