Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into your wheelchair from the floor

Getting back into your wheelchair from the floor

I used to be able to do a floor to chair transfer easily. Now it's too much on my shoulders. I was wondering what do people do to get back into their chairs from the floor? I was thinking maybe a floor jack.

You really can't run or use an Elk (or it's companion the Camel https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cBGbFcncrlw) without an assistant.

I know some people here have modified a seated bath lift for this purpose, while others have done something with an industrial platform lift.

Some people are able to use this; it is still pretty hard on your shoulders though:

Of course most mobile floor based lifts (like Hoyers) can be used by another to lift you from the floor to a bed or chair as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Excellent choice. I was not aware. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You really can't run or use an Elk (or it's companion the Camel https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cBGbFcncrlw) without an assistant.

I know some people here have modified a seated bath lift for this purpose, while others have done something with an industrial platform lift.

Some people are able to use this; it is still pretty hard on your shoulders though:

Of course most mobile floor based lifts (like Hoyers) can be used by another to lift you from the floor to a bed or chair as well.

(KLD)
    I am looking for something for when I am alone. The para ladder seems like a feasible option. Because the lifts are in small increments, I don't see this being a problem for my shoulders. My concern is that it may require lower body mobility to push back. Looks like everyone in the video either has some leg mobility or is a low level para (T10). At T8 the hard part won't be lifting up as much as the backward motion. But it's probably doable.

Thanks.
    Last edited by August West; 01-15-2019 at 04:00 AM.

Just checked the price for the Para Ladder.

$1,147.50

One could build something like this with PVC piping for $50.
    Last edited by August West; 01-15-2019 at 05:05 AM.

Our son has only managed to do floor to chair transfers within the last year - before that he wasn’t strong enough, or tall enough (I’m not sure which!). But he could get into his chair via a wooden box about half the height of the chair. (Or via a sofa, going up onto that forwards). He would transfer sideways, rather than dragging his legs over the box. The box option is cheap, easy to move, and can even be put into a car and used as storage.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I'm 6'2 so I have a long way to go up to get in my chair. One thing that helps me is using a step stool to push off of instead of the floor so I have better leverage. I have a folding one with a handle that is easy to carry around and store in a closet.

To continue with the theme of saving shoulders:
    1) Keep charged cell phone in a holster on wheelchair.
    2) Tap 911 for assistance
    3) Crawl/slide to door and unlock it.
    4) Place cushion/s to protect skin while waiting approximately 15 minutes
    5) Smile while thinking how the EMS are discussing their day with their kids at dinnertime.

is it possible to hoyer yourself?