Thread: Chicago Question

Chicago Question

Going to Chicago for the first time and trying to find a place that's really easy to get to the Chicago Art Institute and other great Chicago places. Looking for a accessible hotel. There are lots of options on google, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience or recommendations. I'm a high level quad in a power wheelchair and I will be renting a lift and possibly a hospital bed as well. Thanks in advance for any advice or helpful tips. - Jared

I live in Chicago suburbs and honestly just about any hotel downtown Chicago will be more than work for you as long as it not a hole in the wall you will have no issues. I haven’t stayed at to many hotel down there but I am down there often and even just being in your wheelchair on the sidewalks you will almost never find a non accessible route as I do it alone in a manual charge and am fine . But again the hotels are amazing when it comes to accessibility. I did stay at the Sofitel chicago hotel I’m not sure how far that is for you but again any decent hotel is great the whole city where it sounds like you will be you shouldn’t have any issues . If you have any questions pm me I can help as much as I can

thank you Jeramie630. appreciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by JDun333 View Post
    Going to Chicago for the first time and trying to find a place that's really easy to get to the Chicago Art Institute and other great Chicago places. Looking for a accessible hotel. There are lots of options on google, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience or recommendations. I'm a high level quad in a power wheelchair and I will be renting a lift and possibly a hospital bed as well. Thanks in advance for any advice or helpful tips. - Jared
    Hi Jared,
    Wondering how was your stay and what did you do here? Any particular ups and downs as far as accessibility or advice? Thanks.

im thinking of doin a few day trip there myself maybe the navy pier shed aquarium and anythung else those are just a few but would love info on were to stay and do as well
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

My daughter uses a powerchair and we've stayed at The Fairmont and The Radisson Blu. Of the two if we can get a deal we prefer The Fairmont hands down. The room that the Blu said was accessible? She couldn't even get in the room without staff coming up and moving the bed. It was small and very tight...the bathroom was large though! The Blu does have an awesome outdoor space with paths and a pool.

While both of those hotels are high-end we got a great deal at both. On the other end of the spectrum we also stayed with the powerchair at The Congress. Her freshman orientation for the University of Arizona was there and we booked an accessible room there. Big mistake. The place is a pit and the room was large but the door to the bathroom was not passable for a wheelchair. I don't think the room had been updated since the Eisenhower administration. Elevators are tiny. Lots of ghost hype here too but we didn't experience anything ha. The price and location is right for a lot of people that stay at The Congress but there are big trade-offs.

Also I see Wheelin mentions Shedd. When we were there the accessible entrance was stroller-ville. It was insane and we were there during the work week in June. We entered the accessible entrance to a sea of strollers without another wheelchair in sight. So be ready to battle for elevators, bathrooms and viewing areas.

The Art Institute was a welcome relief after our Shedd experience. In general we prefer to stay south of river near the park. Not as busy as the Magnificent Mile area and close to about everything we are interested in and an easy walk to Michigan Avenue, the trains for baseball games etc.