Thread: travel ideas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

travel ideas?

I would like help coming up with travel/vacation ideas. First what I don't want: Since I live in Hawaii with ready access to amazing beaches, I'm not looking for a beach resort option. I actually am not looking for anything where I am just sitting around a resort/hotel all day. I am not that into art (I'm OK with it, I just don't see it as the primary draw); I get bored easily. I've already done skiing, and so am not too into something where I have to bundle up expecting snow and ice all over me. I'm not too into being just a postcard traveler anymore, I want some kind of immersion/experience. I already took two extended cross-country drives across the US, so would only go within country for experiences.

Guidance: I'm a C-6 high-functioning quad. If the environment is right and predictable, I am fully independent. I use a power wheelchair w/elevator that can handle grassy terrain. If necessary, I can use a push chair, but would rather not. I need a raised toilet seat and shower bench w/backrest. I have recently broken both legs, so I now have to be a bit cautious about my body. Of course, heat (or cold) is a factor. I will bring a companion who mostly provides casual assistance to ease the stress of traveling, but does not do any lifting or hygiene care, so it would be great if the vacation were mutually enjoyable.

Likes: Food, interesting people, culture, music, fun, learning things, doing things, comfy accommodations and service.

Within reason, cost is not an issue. If necessary and available, I can rent (or buy) accommodative equipment.

I would love not only ideas, but specifics on your experiences and how to arrange for the logistics. I really want to know what is compelling about an opportunity. I have seen several sites that talk about the accessibility of locations, but very little about the engagement/enjoyment of the wheelchair user. I really want something that makes the hassle of travel worth it.

Thank you in advance.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Consider a cruise. An Alaska inside passage cruise will have a port nearly every day, and there are accessible tours and activities available in most ports. You can be as active or as sedentary as you want on sea days, and there are often educational lectures and films provided about your upcoming ports. Upside is unpacking once and not having to worry about finding an accessible hotel every night as on a road trip.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My main travel experience was throughout US and a few weeks in Heidelberg, Germany and Sweden, decades ago, so I can't help.
    I really admire your plan to travel more. Wondering if you have considered the Scandinavian countries. I have heard good reports about Finland's disability rights/access for years. In Sweden in 1972 I toured a large housing compound for disabled. Not my style, but would indicate the idea of accessibility was working in that country early on.
    Do you speak other languages that would make travel more enjoyable in other countries?
    If you are familiar with the magazine New Mobility, there have been detailed articles about folks who travel and access issues good and bad. I think they have on-line content.
    Best to you and your travels for 2019!

Have you ever thought about volunteering in a National Park?
    New Orleans or Mobile for Mardi Gras?

There's always Las Vegas. I like a week in NYC, museum and theater are my jam. I live in Santa Fe NM. It's crawling with culture and famous for the food, but you'd OD on art the first day! Many historical museums, National Parks, tiny accessible trails, the famous Plaza has live music every night in summer. Are you more about indoors or outdoors activities?