Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ROHO cushion air/pressure retention

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I check my immersion a couple times a day. Haven't added air for well over a year. Mid-profile Quattro Select.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I use a Quattro High Profile.
    Just a minor correction for clarity these are Roho Quadtro, not Quattro cushions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It's partially a function of the age of the cushion. A Roho shouldn't lose air unless there is a leak, but the probability that a leak will develop increases with the age of the cushion.

I have to admit, I don't use the inflator. On the other hand, I'm not using a previously owned cushion.

automation, contact me with your name / address and I'll get some ROHO inflation pumps sent out to you on Monday so your clients can have what they need with the cushions you deliver.

tom.borcherding@permobil.com

Our son got a ROHO Hybrid Elite Dual Compartment cushion about 3 months ago. We check it (by hand) very regularly as he is recovering from a pressure sore so we are very diligent now! Due to his hip obliquity, one side is deliberately higher pressure than the other. Every time we check, the pressure variation between the two chambers is still evident, and the cushion hasn?t needed to be inflated at all since he got it. However, we did need to adjust the chambers to set it up initially, so the pump was definitely needed then.

7 months ago, just after his sore appeared, we were loaned another type of ROHO cushion (probably a standard series option, I can?t recall the exact type). It lost a bit of air over short periods, so I had a close look at it and a few of the ?nodules? were stuck together. I pulled one apart and a hole appeared! Luckily the repair kit was also supplied, so I repaired it and it was far better afterwards. Obviously we don?t know the previous history of the cushion, so the reasons for the nodules being stuck together isn?t clear.

Some years ago he had a different air-filled cushion which deflated completely at one stage (I don?t believe that it was a ROHO), so we avoided air filled cushions for several years. But the current ROHO one appears to be good, and has the fallback of foam under the air should anything catastrophic happen.

But I wouldn?t have been happy if the new cushion didn?t come with a pump....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Hey Gordy1- We get cells stuck together all the time on my daughter's ROHO. This happens right between her thighs on the front of the seat and is due to the lube from her closed system cath set dripping on the seat over time. (She has a mitrofanoff.) Sometimes she will put a towel or something down to catch any lube spill. I very gently clean between those front cells with warm water and a cloth. I suppose a person could spill a few drops overtime of about anything and eventually those cells will stick together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Borcherding View Post
    automation, contact me with your name / address and I'll get some ROHO inflation pumps sent out to you on Monday so your clients can have what they need with the cushions you deliver.

tom.borcherding@permobil.com
    Hey Tom, once again you and the Permobil organization has come through and extended a helping hand to members of the Care Cure Community. On behalf of everyone here, Thank you for monitoring these forums and helping us when you can.

Happy New Year to you and the Permobil team.

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    Hey Gordy1- We get cells stuck together all the time on my daughter's ROHO. This happens right between her thighs on the front of the seat and is due to the lube from her closed system cath set dripping on the seat over time. (She has a mitrofanoff.) Sometimes she will put a towel or something down to catch any lube spill. I very gently clean between those front cells with warm water and a cloth. I suppose a person could spill a few drops overtime of about anything and eventually those cells will stick together.
    Yep, that makes sense. Bit of a worry that the children’s hospital didn’t check (or clean) it before they loaned it out!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I have a high profile quadtro and barring any obvious problem, every 2-3 weeks I put in about 1-1.5 pump strokes with the chamber communication valve open, then sit in it, redistribute, and close the valve. The cushion does not seem to be getting harder, so therefore they may be a very slow loss of air. After all, the valve is not exactly submarine or space ship quality tolerance and it may lose slight bits of air over time.

I find the hand method too subjective, especially for caregivers and the monitoring pressure system developed by Roho does not work for the multichamber cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hey Tom, once again you and the Permobil organization has come through and extended a helping hand to members of the Care Cure Community. On behalf of everyone here, Thank you for monitoring these forums and helping us when you can.

Happy New Year to you and the Permobil team.
    Mr. Borcherding. Just wanted to second that "Thank you!"! I know you have helped many folks, including myself.
    Sincerely,
    Mike

Blog Entries
    I wonder how much of 'air loss' is actually just 'pressure loss' from the rubber stretching and creating slightly more inner volume over time, especially on newer cushions. My main Roho, which hasn't had air added for well over a year, is 8 years old. Maybe it's more stretched in and stable. I dunno. I'd be seriously bothered needing to refill a Roho every week or two. That's seems defective to me. Wonder what Tom thinks about a Roho "loosing air" regularly vs "loosing pressure"?
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments