Thread: Problems with Advantage rent a car

Problems with Advantage rent a car

I travel several times a year and usually rent cars from whomever I get the best deal out of the known providers. The last two times it has been Advantage rent a car. The first of the two they had no cars with hand controls, I let it slide as a mistake and used my portables.

Then, on December 20th I made a reservation for January 6th, and again ordered left sided hand controls. About 8 or 10 days later I get an email from Advantage stating that they need 11 business days to accomodate the hand control request. I wrote back saying that they had 16 days and that I fully expected my rental on the 6th with the hand controls installed, otherwise we would have an ADA issue.

I never got a reply to that email and sure enough, I get there on the 6th and they do not have hand controls on any of their cars nor do they give me any alternatives. They have absolutely no regard for the ADA or the trouble they may cause if they do not comply with this requirement.

Hertz requires 8 hours in major airports, otherwise it's 48 hours. Most other rental companies require 48 hours. I gave Advantage 16 days, specifically warned them and I got zero response.

Has anyone else had this experience, and what have you done about it? I am pissed.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Have you contacted their corporate customer relations office? (800) 777-5500

Where was this rental site located?

If you have gone through corporate, and still are not getting any satisfactory response (and of course return of your rental fees), then I would go ahead and file a DOJ ADA complaint.

http://www.newmobility.com/2018/04/p...hand-controls/

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 01-10-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It was at IAH (Houston). I wrote on their contract that I had requested the hand controls and took a picture. I told them to raise the complaint to management but I doubt that they will do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you contacted their corporate customer relations office? (800) 777-5500

Where was this rental site located?

If you have gone through corporate, and still are not getting any satisfactory response (and of course return of your rental fees), then I would go ahead and file a DOJ ADA complaint.

http://www.newmobility.com/2018/04/p...hand-controls/

(KLD)

That's why you need to follow through with corporate, and then the DOJ ADA complaint if you get no satisfaction from corporate.

The ADA is only enforced by individuals whose rights have been violated, and who file the appropriate complaint if they don't get action taken by speaking to the manager/employees/customer service. If you don't follow through with a complaint, they are free to treat someone else the same way.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you.

By the way, this is what Advantage wrote to me. Again, I gave them 16 calendar days.

"My name is Sebastian, I am apart of Advantage Rent A Car’s Voice of the Customer department. I would like to personally thank you for taking to the time to reach out to us and allowing us your business.
    You have requested hand controls for your upcoming booking on January 6, 2018; we request an eleven-business day notice in order to ensure and supply the hand controls. At this time, we will not be able to supply you the hand controls because we were not given the sufficient time to order to execute the installation. You currently have a prepaid reservation which I may cancel for you free of cost or we may continue with the booking without the hand controls. How would you like to proceed?"

Go on Lawyers.com and find an ADA lawyer that will explain it to them.

Definitely push the issue and believe it or not the ada is on your side. I had had Hertz upgrade me to vehicles because hand controls wouldn't fit my economy vehicle I rented. Let them know you are not a push over. I kindly informed them I am an ada consultant. I have full access to a lawyer free of charge which I do. Arizona has a free service for people descriminated just because of their disability. Talk lawyer and inform them that you have full access when your being descriminated on just becuase of the ada.