Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to shoulder replacement

Alternative to shoulder replacement

My pain doctor told me that the FDA just approved a new procedure for shoulder pain. They insert an electrode that desensitizes nerves. They already do this for other parts of the body. But it is a new procedure for the shoulder. It is covered by Medicare.

Presently my pain doctor is treating my shoulder pain with cortisone injections. My orthopedic doctor used to inject cortisone into the joint. My pain doctor said that is a shot gun approach. They hope the cortisone finds its way to a nerve that eases the pain. But there is no way to be sure that will happen. He says there is a more precise procedure. Rather than inject the cortisone into the joint and hope the cortisone finds its way to a nerve, they inject cortisone directly into the nerve. I had this procedure done yesterday. It's far less painful and I can already feel the pain go down.

This procedure should be less destructive to the joint. Because the cortisone is injected into a nerve around the joint rather than into the joint.
    Last edited by August West; 01-10-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Repeated injections of steroids put you at significant risk of tendon rupture and worse shoulder problems. What is your actual shoulder injury? Arthritis? Rotator cuff tear?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have severe bone-on-bone arthritis with 20% rotator cuff tear. I know we discussed this before. You said only 3 injections in a lifetime. Both my orthopedic and paid doctors said 3-4 injections per year. If you have links that document what you said I can take it to my doctors. In any case, I am no longer getting injections into the joint. They are now injecting directly into the nerve outside the joint.

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I skimmed through all the references. There was no mention of limiting cortisone injections to 3 for life. Did I miss it? Can you point it out?

I don't know where you got that specific number...it certainly wasn't from me. There are numerous citations of repeated steroid injections of the shoulder being associated with tendon rupture, as well as infection (1 in 17 shoulder injections is associated with infection).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I don't know where you got that specific number...it certainly wasn't from me. There are numerous citations of repeated steroid injections of the shoulder being associated with tendon rupture, as well as infection (1 in 17 shoulder injections is associated with infection).

(KLD)
    You wrote,

Repeated cortisone shots can weaken the tendons and make more tears more likely.

(KLD)
    I asked,

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Is this true only if there isn't enough time between cortisone shots or is it true regardless of the length of time between shots?
    You replied,

More than 2-3 injections can cause this problem, regardless of the amount of time between each injection.

(KLD)
    at post #8 on this thread about infraspinatus tendon tears.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1870111
    Last edited by August West; 01-11-2019 at 02:47 AM.

I had both my shoulder done about 12 0r 15 years ago. Made no difference but the side effects were Painfully Diarrhea for a year any time I ate a meat product. Never ever again for me.
    Art

My idea or theory was that they shoot Steroids into the animals and the steroids shots I got didn't agree.

My SCI new doctor wanted to try again I said no way.
    Art

I had Cortisone shots three of four times a year in my later stage of wheelchair sports. Surgeon said they weakened the tendons eventually. Both biceps torn off the longheads; spinatus on both shoulders ripped just to name a few that are torn or ripped off.

Too many cortisone shots take their toll. I have no regrets. I know people that didn't over use their shoulders and ended up like me only sooner. Perhaps we athletes lasted longer because we strengthened the muscle groups while those less active got the shot and did nothing after.

We're living longer now; the secondary effects of SCI and aging shoulders are more common than before because most of us died before they got that bad.

My surgeon said if I had great pain, a cortisone shot helps at a price. If no pain, don't do it. Bone on bone is a tough one.