Thread: Sample PCA Interview ?'s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Sample PCA Interview ?'s

Over the years I've had a variety of interview questions for PCA interviewees. I'm searching for some examples so I can tweak my documents. As am sure most quads that need care we have to go through the same process of over and over and I'm looking to streamline this.

Some scattered questions related to PCA care:
    - Is there any 'good' way to bring up the bowel/bladder program without killing the deal?

- Has anyone found questions that are tried and true judgment calls? I guess I'm looking for questions that get to the heart of the person without going too deep into psychology.

- I have contracts usually signed and a list of responsibilities, but what I found is that reliability is incredibly hard to find.

- Determining whether an employee is sick or hung over and calls in is one of those judgment calls I hate making?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I know I need a better system.

When I would interview for PCAs for my mother, I used a standard set of questions as the foundation of the interview. This also including reviewing the detailed job description (which included stuff like details of bowel and bladder care required) and contract we used.

I used to do the interviews in a public place (Denny's for example) and only took the person home to meet my mother if they passed my initial screening and after checking references (but before completing the background check). Only once did I have to withdraw a job offer (which is always made contingent upon the background check) based on the background check report not being consistent with what I was told in the interview.

Here are some of the questions included on the interview schedule:

• Have you worked for anyone with MS or similar disability before? If so, tell me about this.
    • Why do you want to do this type of work?
    • Tell us a little about your work habits (neatness, reliability, timeliness, self starter, etc.)
    • What would your friends tell us about you?
    • Have you ever been arrested for or convicted of a felony?
    • We require a background check. Will this reveal anything you have not told us about?
    • Are you a citizen or have a green card?
    • Do you have any questions or concerns about the duties in the job description?
    • What is your availability? (discuss hours, days when you need the PCA as listed in the job description)
    • Do you have reliable transportation to work? What is that?
    • Expectations for holidays and days/time off. (Be sure to include what will or will not be acceptable as far as unexcused absences or tardiness.)
    • Describe what would be reasons for termination both with and without notice.
    • Salary: rate of pay and payment schedule: questions
    • Benefits: use (or non use) of kitchen, TV, computer, stereo and radio, washer dryer, van, etc. Include perks, such as if they take mother out for a meal, or a movie that we pay for their meal/ticket if this is part of their job. If they prepare her meal, they can also prepare their own using our food, etc. etc. Withholding for SS and taxes (if any).
    • Habits/preferences: smoking, drinking (limits on this), music on duty, use/non-use of cell phone for personal calls while on duty, etc.
    • One of our main requirements is reliability & dependability. Tell us how you would handle conflicts with your other appointments, jobs, school, or family issues and your work schedule with us?
    • We are looking for a long term employee. What would you anticipate right now to be your availability to fill this position over the next 1-2 years?
    • Do you have any problems signing an employment contract?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This is fantastic. I'll be aggregating my various PCA process documents tonight and integrating your questions. Thank you again.

Would you be willing to share some of your contracts? I have some written myself but they could always be tweaked and appended. Even after so many years there's always something new or a different situation to deal with that requires adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    This is fantastic. I'll be aggregating my various PCA process documents tonight and integrating your questions. Thank you again.

Would you be willing to share some of your contracts? I have some written myself but they could always be tweaked and appended. Even after so many years there's always something new or a different situation to deal with that requires adaptation.
    Check out this thread. There are contracts from KLD and other members. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=contracts

KLD, your list of questions is great. I usually take a fairly informal approach to interviews, so I end up re-creating my list of questions every time. As much as I try to have a friendly work environment and be personable, it's nice to get to the point with expectations.