Thread: Invacare Powerchairs with GB motors

Exclamation Invacare Powerchairs with GB motors

Does anyone have any experience with repairing the wheel mounting holes on these motors? The motor has since been discontinued from Invacare leaving those users of their chairs without spare parts or service options. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Inavcare chair with GB motors plus extra GB motors to go with it and other parts.

I have the GB motors in my invacare chair too, and have an extra set. I love the GB motors, they are quiet, smooth, and responsive. I'm really bummed the were discontinued. about 5 years ago i bout a quickie p222 to replace my invacare arrow and i hated it so much, i bought new motors for my invacare and started using it again. the chair is now 11 years old. i'm hoping i can find a company to rebuild the motors, like alternators are rebuilt.

i've never had problems with the mounting holes for the wheels. i'm not sure if yours are just stripped out, but if that is the case, you might be able to have someone tap them out to a larger diameter bolt size. also check ebay, they always have used motors listed.

Quote Originally Posted by micah_d View Post
    I have the GB motors in my invacare chair too, and have an extra set. I love the GB motors, they are quiet, smooth, and responsive. I'm really bummed the were discontinued. about 5 years ago i bout a quickie p222 to replace my invacare arrow and i hated it so much, i bought new motors for my invacare and started using it again. the chair is now 11 years old. i'm hoping i can find a company to rebuild the motors, like alternators are rebuilt.

i've never had problems with the mounting holes for the wheels. i'm not sure if yours are just stripped out, but if that is the case, you might be able to have someone tap them out to a larger diameter bolt size. also check ebay, they always have used motors listed.
    "Good Luck!" About 4 months ago I called 4 places in OKC that do electric motor rewinds. Out of those 2 would actually do them for individuals on powerchair motors, but they were about $600/each but did not do gearbox(sp?) that wheel mounts wheel onto, mine are leaking.

There are a lot of Invacare parts on eBay. I saw four GB motors for sale on there last summer. I was going to buy an old non GB Torque as a back up chair because my old GB Arrow Storm is still not keeping a full charge even after replacing everything but the wiring. Which Invacare is claiming will now finally fix it. Which I doubt. But to my surprise this AmySystems Hybrid I just received last month is working out really well. I wanted to get away from Invacare since there are no GB motors, plus I couldn't get a seat elevator due to Invacare's width seat restrictions.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

The only problem I have had is about 4 years of use the brakes don't hold very good. I got a new set of GB motors because they were under warranty back then. The warranty for GB motors were 5 years. Now you can't get them anymore. Bought a set on ebay same thing. If you buy a set don't pay much cause likely the brakes won't hold very good. Sad because these GB motors worked great. I had to go to permobil m300 and only a little over 2 years nothing but problems. Had a bad wire,new brakes put on,now new complete motors and gearbox on both sides plus a new controller. The controller is not even in a case so it is subject to easy moisture problems with a lot of vibration from not being in a sealed box like Invacare always was. My first permobil because of Invacare problems with politics...which Obama caused IMO. Now we get this junk from permobil. If I live look enough next one I will go back to Invacare. Also its a joke the tech call the permobil tech which the tech was here at my house check a few things and the permobil tech all he says replace this and that. Todays way of fixing things is replace everything. Should be able to buy just a motor or gearbox but no have to replace the whole thing. And am gona take it apart and find out what if anything is wrong with them. My bet it is the controller which I have had problems with it since new. Sometimes you turn it on no lights no nothing turn it off back on then it works. I told my wheelchair guy and he called tech about it and they checked it out under warranty and said it was ok. Now they want to replace it now. Sure they do after the warranty is up. BS IMO. Only happens once or twice a month. The permobil shakes as you take off and try to stop. There is a loose little board that is attached to the controller and you have to replace the whole thing just for that. When they replace it here at my place since I got the lift and such that little part better be tight or they gonna replace it again. I bet its just a loose solder joint because they use lead free solder which is not as strong as lead solder. Not a happy camper with permobil right now. Supposed to be the best chair out there....lol And I keep it clean and it still looks like new and the tech told the permobil tech the same thing. Didn't matter to them it was taken care of. They have the same problems with cars because they use lead free solder which likes to crack at joints because of lead free solder. Just like instrument cluster which folks fix and find crack solder joints and the easy fix is just re solder the joint with lead solder. Look it up on ytube there is a guy there that fixes instrument cluster. He goes by the name of jejjcox something really smart guy. Have to see how Invacare chairs hold up now since they are buying most of there electrical parts instead of making there own now. Just like permobil does now.
    Last edited by Art454; 02-07-2019 at 01:48 AM.
    Art

GB motors don't have a gearbox. You probably have the brush motors with the gearbox. GB motors can't leak as there is no grease used in them.
    Art

I demo'ed a new Permo M3 and after a few days the seat elevator started to make a loud clicking noise. Which was one of many reasons that I didn't choose that chair.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I demo'ed a new Permo M3 and after a few days the seat elevator started to make a loud clicking noise. Which was one of many reasons that I didn't choose that chair.
    What chair are you going to choose? What does your experience with the Permobil M3 have to do with the original poster's topic about Invacare GB motors? Your post just seems to way off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    What chair are you going to choose? What does your experience with the Permobil M3 have to do with the original poster's topic about Invacare GB motors? Your post just seems to way off topic.
    I meant to reply to Art454.

I already stated I ordered an AmySystems R3 Hybrid.