Thread: Spinal Cord Herniation T7/8

Spinal Cord Herniation T7/8

I'm trying to introduce myself (excuse my bad English - I'm out of practice and use automatic translator).

In November 2016, I crashed while skiing. A few days later, I noticed that my left leg felt strange.
    A few weeks later, I could no longer feel the temperature. Only later came pain. I went to lots of doctors, but nobody could help me.
    Although spinal cord herniation was detected as early as May 2017, most doctors were unable to do anything with it.
    It was said that it was a incidental finding and that I should by no means consider an operation. Thus, the herniation was initially observed only.

After the pain and numbness in the left leg got worse and I got spasms in my right leg, I had surgery in August 2018.
    The accident is seen by some as a coincidence, by others as a cause.The spasm in the right leg has disappeared, but the pain in the left is worse than before.

I'm in the lucky position to be able to walk, but I feel partially unsure when walking.

I am pleased to meet you and hope that someday someone with the diagnosis spinal cord herniation will appear in this forum.

Marla (also known as jellyfish) :-)
    Last edited by marla; 01-08-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Welcome to our forums, Maria.

Idiopathic thoracic spinal cord herniation is an uncommon cause of thoracic myelopathy in which the spinal cord herniates or prolapses through an anterior or lateral defect in the dura mater.

Unfortunately neuropathic pain is common following damage to the spinal cord. What medications are you taking for this?

Please add your age and level of your herniation to your profile. This makes it easier for others to respond to your posts and questions.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Currently I only take Duloxetine 60mg.

I have already taken Neurontin and Lyrica.

Unfortunately,the proportion of effect and side effect was not acceptable for me.

Duloxetine (Cymbalta in the USA) is an antidepressant, and not a very good one to use for neuropathic pain. How much Neurontin did you take? Have you tried Tegretol (carbamazepine)? Can you get CBD oil or medical marijuana in your area?

You might want to spend some time reading other posts on our Pain forum.

(KLD)

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I took Neurontin for four weeks, which I dosed very slowly. I did not reach more than 900mg per day, as I then dropped off again.
    I know that 900mg is a very low dose, but I was struggling with the side effects and I do not want to take it anymore.
    I take CBD oil from time to time. Medical marijuana is not prescribed in Austria.
    I have not tried Tegretol yet. I was not suggested by the doctors yet.

I will definitely read the posts in the pain forum!

Thank you.

Tegretol is not used that much anymore.
    Cymbalta is used more commonly and the newest research is on Effexor.
    You would have to wean off Cymbalta and start the Effexor.
    I would recommend a low dose of Neurontin. Some of the side effects disappear over time or are not there with a lower dose. With the Cymbalta - on board a steady- although it would be a low dose, with both it might be helpful.
    CWO