Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Upside

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    why is he getting backlash only chris reeve could have played but he is dead
    Here are just a few articles that explain the issue:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ised-exclusion

http://enablemagazine.co.uk/why-wont...isabled-roles/

https://filmschoolrejects.com/oscars...sabled-actors/

https://www.newsmax.com/michaelclark.../24/id/839204/

Rob Brown, would have been a better choice than Kevin Hart.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good looking guy, but doesn't have the box office draw/name recognition that Kevin Hart does.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Meh. I enjoy film for great acting, cinematography, and narrative. It's all make believe. No one is entitled to be cast in a film. I'm really looking forward to Cranston's performance. How well an actor nails their performance of a disability is what counts to me, not whether they resemble their role in real life.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Meh. I enjoy film for great acting, cinematography, and narrative. It's all make believe. No one is entitled to be cast in a film. I'm really looking forward to Cranston's performance. How well an actor nails their performance of a disability is what counts to me, not whether they resemble their role in real life.
    I tend to agree with you. However, it was an interesting question that "vjls" posed...if Christopher Reeve was still alive and well, would Hollywood have tapped him for the role instead of an able bodied actor (this isn't to say that there aren't some talented disabled actors available...but as "KLD" says, it is box office draw and name recognition that lands a role)? He played the wheelchair user role in the remake of Rear Window.

Blog Entries

The Upside

I have not seen this movie. It has some big names in it.

People are often moved by the SCI lifestyle, told in many different ways. Each time revealing another piece of our lifestyle.

It seems like every 2-3 years, the SCI theme re-emerges on the big screen.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Is it just curiosity from the general public that makes them want to keep paying money to see these movies?

From Box Office Mojo: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4475

Outperforming expectations, STXFilms's The Upside debuted atop the weekend box office, upsetting Aquaman's bid for a fourth straight weekend at #1. That said, Aquaman isn't exactly focused on its runner-up position domestically as the film is now the first in the DC Extended Universe to top $1 billion at the global box office. As for the rest of the week's new wide releases, Sony's A Dog's Way Home delivered on studio expectations while Entertainment Studios's sci-fi thriller Replicas failed to place within the weekend top ten.

With an estimated $19.59 million, STXFilms's The Upside topped the weekend box office, dramatically outperforming expectations heading into the weekend. The remake of the popular French film The Intouchables, The Upside stars Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston, and while the reviews were mixed heading into the weekend, opening day audiences seemed to enjoy themselves, giving the film an "A" CinemaScore, which bodes well for the film's future.

The Upside
    's opening audience was 59% female with 74% of the overall audience coming in aged 25 years or older. The film was originally rated R, but upon acquiring the the film following the Weinstein Co.'s bankruptcy settlement, STX and Lantern Entertainment worked with director Neil Burger and the film's producers to recut the movie to a PG-13, making it more accessible to a broader audience. The move paid off and gave STX its first #1 debut ever.

The Upside made a a lot more revenue than the Callahan movie, whose long title might hurt its box office draw. Callahan (Don't Worry He Won't Get Far on Foot) got creamed by critics, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I think they should cast honest-to-goodness crooks as, well, crooks!
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.