Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eat meat or not?

Good for you, man, you've got your own thing going on. I admire you. Great picture, takes me right there. Is that a wheelchair graveyard?

Yes, that's my blog, thanks. You can find writeups there about the nature center and the McDonald Observatory, both excellent visits.

Do you have a good chili recipe, Texan?

A nutritionist helped my friend
    Thank you all of your friends

Anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist". Many who do have absolutely no legitimate qualifications, education, or scientific basis for their advice. A nutritionist is not a registered dietitian (RD).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by saman View Post
    hi
    Do you eat meat?
    Chicken Meat or Beef And Cow?
    Thanks
    Does dick count?

I'm an American, I eat a variety of foods, meat and plant. I try to focus on the best sources of protein like turkey, beef, nuts, etc. I'm a pretty healthy 55 year old quad. 35 years in a chair.

One question: WTH is 'the uhmerican diet'?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Todd View Post
    Does dick count?
    Good one.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

One question: WTH is 'the uhmerican diet'?

That is 'American diet' using redneck spelling.

I was vegetarian/pescatarian for around two and a half years, and even though I occasionally ate fish and dairy, plus eggs, I ended up anemic. I still have low B12 and decided it wasn't working for me. My SO with a SCI is on a high-protein diet right now trying to build up muscle, so it's definitely not light on the meat!

I shoot for 100g/day of quality protein from strained yogurt (aka Greek), eggs, hemp protein poweder (mixed into yogurt - best vegetable source), beans and lean meats. I don't eat meat daily but several times per week. It's very hard to keep up a high protein diet without meat or excessive fats/calories. For example beans and corn make a great protein source, but one that's very high calorie compared to chicken. Hemp protein is great, but super expensive. I've also tried all the new veggie burgers and while they taste very good, there is little health advantage over meat burgers aside from their zero cholesterol.

As I type I'm eating my lunch: greek yogurt, prunes, cherry tomatoes, watermelon radishes, carrots, strawberries and a half a turkey sandwhich. Adds up to 599 kcals, 45g protein and 16g fiber. My wife puts the macronutrients on a post-it note when she makes my lunches
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.