Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rediscovered talking books

Did you forget about people with disabilities who may not be able to read a book as well as you can?

You also missed other critical elements in your post, some audio media are produced by legislation by the Congress of the United States, and there are other organizations that produce for listenable books to create a profit.newspaper they use different copyright licenses and legislation determine the types of media copyright control, etc. that can be given away for free.

The congregational legislative books are free from the author i.e. they have donated their rights to the public others charge them money for different versions if they're not blind and disabled.

A little specific information, go a lot longer than pasting excess information, you put everything into one basket and did not delineate one from another and who they belong to.

So again, give me a specific organization as requested in the original post. "

Are you referring to the Library of Congress talking books or corporations like Amazon's audible.com audiobooks?

Reread the thread and cannot tell what you're referring to. Can you give me an setting goals assisted example of how this happened from where because I do not understand who is limiting how many books are available or for what duration.

If you want to read the story behind the NLS here is the link https://www.loc.gov/nls/about/organi...history/#three it also mentions they supplied materials for physical disabilities as well as those blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Did you forget about people with disabilities who may not be able to read a book as well as you can?
    For your information, I've spent YEARS working with people who "can't read a book as well as [I] can". (Can you transcribe braille?)

If you reread the entire THREAD (to place my comments in context), you'll see that I was explaining the pros and cons of various types of alternative book formats -- and their consequences in different populations. For example, the General (sighted) public has very little impact on the demand for the limited number of braille editions of any particular title, offered.

OTOH, the General Public is a large competitor for "talking books" (in various forms) because they can consume them while not NEEDING them -- they can read the book in a more conventional way.

You also missed other critical elements in your post, some audio media are produced by legislation by the Congress of the United States, and there are other organizations that produce for listenable books to create a profit.newspaper they use different copyright licenses and legislation determine the types of media copyright control, etc. that can be given away for free.
    I'm not trying to be an exhaustive reference for alternative publication methods. Rather, illustrating the differences between the different technologies and the markets they were intended to address (and are ACTUALLY addressing). Did you miss this query:

What?s the difference between a talking book and an audiobook?
    So again, give me a specific organization as requested in the original post. "
    Try any library that deals with "electronic media". I gave you a screen shot of a random title I picked from my local library -- to illustrate how the electronic versions of the title are restricted to a single "copy" of each -- despite the fact that you could create a limitless number of copies for no additional cost.

Here's a page out of the Chicago Public Library's catalog:
    https://chipublib.bibliocommons.com/...126_joy_enough

The fact that an "artificial" (in the sense that there are no physical/mechanical reasons for it as there would be on a physical object) limit is placed on a resource means access to it will be limited. The fact that there is increased demand for these (among "non-disabled") consumers gives you the worst of both worlds: more demand for fewer resources.

You want the opposite to be true: less demand for more resources -- if you are a consumer of that resource!

Alternatively, you want to increase demand for a resource if that will also increase the availability of that resource. This is especially true of resources that are expensive or expensive to produce. eBooks and downloadable audio do the former -- and have the POTENTIAL to do the latter... except that lending policies seem to be hindering that.

If you want to BUY something, then this doesn't affect you in the least, right? Heck, you can hire someone to transcribe today's local, SMALL-TOWN newspaper before its published -- if you've got enough money! E.g., Stevie Wonder was decades ahead of his "similarly disabled" contemporaries because of deeper pockets!

https://www.kurzweiledu.com/about-ku...to-speech.html

Here's (attached) another example to illustrate what I'm saying. Not that the content is available in three different types of media:
    • downloadable audiobook
    • large print book
    • ebook

There are NO COPIES available for either of the electronic formats -- but exactly one available for the print edition.

Furthermore, there are limits on the number of copies of each of the media types -- 15 copies of the audio download, 1 copy of the print book and 64 copies of the ebook. This has result in WAITING LISTS for each of the two electronic media formats -- 62 waiting for the audio download and 119 waiting for the ebook.

These "available copies" are only constrained by licensing issues, not "shelf space" (they don't take up any physical space). If the licensing terms had been redefined away from the legacy notion of "number of REAL books on a shelf" to "number of READS", then the library could satisfy those waiting lists immediately ("distribute" more electronic copies, each of which will self destruct when the loan period expires). The author would be compensated based on how many patrons "consumed" his work instead of how many copies sat on the "virtual shelf" (will some of those folks get tired of waiting and opt NOT to read the title?)

So, electronic media has increased demand for the product (notice no one is waiting for the print copy!) but has (artificially) limited supply at the same time!

[Imagine everyone decides they want to drive around in a wheelchair. There'd be more ramps in public (and private) spaces, more accommodation for chairs in restaurants, homes, businesses, more repair shops, etc. But, imagine if the supply of those chairs didn't experience a corresponding increase! Suddenly, you're competing for something you NEED with folks who are willing to pay for them just out of DESIRE.]

https://chipublib.bibliocommons.com/..._we_were_yours

The point of the topic was remembering the enjoyment of reading a good book and we got into a squabble.

Was unable to utilize or enjoy the National Library for the blind and disabled back in the 80s. A subscription to audible.com was a catalyst to revisit the institution and read the same books for free

Congratulations and many thanks from many people for transcribing books to braille. It is extremely difficult and many people are needed to continue the process.

My apologies, you didn't need to go on a cut & paste rampage. Clear and concise concepts transmitted with minimal verbiage as possible is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    The point of the topic was remembering the enjoyment of reading a good book and we got into a squabble.

Was unable to utilize or enjoy the National Library for the blind and disabled back in the 80s. A subscription to audible.com was a catalyst to revisit the institution and read the same books for free
    I design products for folks with disabilities. If you target the design to the disability, you end up with all the pricing and support problems of "specialty products" with low quantities and disproportionately high "support costs". (which is why a powerchair costs as much as a car -- despite being a considerably simpler device!)

If, instead, you develop with an attitude to including (and targeting!) non-disabled users, then you let THEM "finance" the development/sales/support instead of putting it all on the back of a smaller population with typically costlier needs.

But, that assumes you can then supply devices in the larger quantities that will be required (so you don't grow the market bigger than the supply). That's the intended lesson of my "electronic media" example.

I have been in the NLS Talking Book program since 1988 and love it. The digital downloads have been really great for me. I download audio-books from 4 sources into my phone of ipad - NLS, Audible, my local library via overdrive media player and use text to speech options on books not available as straight audio books. I blanked out on another source of audio books. Ios has a native text to speech option built in and most Kindle books loaded onto a Kindle Fire can be read with the text to speech option. Books on disk or downloaded from another source onto the computer can be transferred into the phone as well.