Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Urine

Clear Urine

My urine is clear. Is this a good thing.

means you are well hydrated.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
    My urine is clear. Is this a good thing.
    Ideally, urine should be a pale straw color. Clear urine probably means you are drinking too much and could be in danger of throwing off you electrolyte balance. Hyponatremia, a very low sodium level in the body can be life threatening. You probably should have your doctor order an electrolyte blood panel, if you haven't had one done recently.

How much water and other liquids do you drink per day?

About 2000ccs a day. I'm also on Lazex.

ceat banana full of potassium and ur body will thow off the uneeded I drink a lot of lemon waater has our water is awful and I refuse to buy bottled

About 2000ccs a day. I'm also on Lazex.
    Lasix can reduce the potassium level in your blood, so you probably need to have regular monitoring of your potassium level to avoid hypokalemia. Doctors often recommend a prescription potassium supplement when a patient is taking Lasix. In your 2000cc of fluids per day, are you including, coffee, tea, soup, sodas, milk?
    Symptoms of low potassium are:

• Weakness, tiredness, or cramping in arm or leg muscles, sometimes severe enough to cause inability to move arms or legs due to weakness (much like a paralysis)
    • Tingling or numbness
    • Nausea or vomiting
    • Abdominal cramping, bloating
    • Constipation
    • Palpitations(feeling your heart beat irregularly)
    • Passing large amounts of urine or feeling thirsty most of the time
    • Fainting due to low blood pressure
    • Abnormal psychological behavior: depression, psychosis, delirium, confusion, or hallucinations.

Your urine is supposed to be clear (meaning you can see through it). Normal urine has a pale yellow color, usually described as straw colored.

Why are you taking Lasix?

When did you last have some tests of kidney function, such as a creatinine clearance test?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Retaining fluids. I don't think that I have ever had that done. About 2yrs. ago I had an ultrasound done on my kidneys. Doctor said that they looked good.
    I also have a white or pale yellow mucus like stuff in my urine.

I also have a white or pale yellow mucus like stuff in my urine.
    So what you said in your original post wasn't quite accurate...is your urine clear and colorless? Or do you have mucous? Not sure you can have it both ways.

An ultrasound does not test for kidney function, only structure. It can be used to detect stones, tumors, hydronephrosis, ureteral strictures, etc. but not function. For that you should have an annual creatinine clearance test, which includes collecting a 24 hour urine specimen and having a blood test done in the same period of time.

Why do you retain fluid? Kidney function? Heart failure?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.