Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: solar power

solar power

question do any of you use it. I was thinking of getting a small set up to power computer phone charger maybe even fridge for when we have hurricane as they cut our power due to fear of surge

ave time with out has been 5 days I use my propane generator for about 6 hrs a day to keep freezer froze and do any heavy stuff like elevator

We don't have solar, but due to frequent power outages due to weather, we got a natural gas generator that kicks in automatically. Since we've gotten it, we've only had one short outage.

Is tesla powerwall still a thing? Might be easier to just use one of those to store up the power you need. No idea how long one would run a fridge though.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Is tesla powerwall still a thing? Might be easier to just use one of those to store up the power you need. No idea how long one would run a fridge though.
    before I would spend that kinda money I would go whole house generator

In order to power a fridge for 12 hours (night time) you would need a very large battery system, with a big solar array to charge it.

Out of curiosity, I've looked in the whole house generators. One would certainly solve the problem power outages, does not solve the problem of how much they cost. Estimates were in the $12-13 thousand dollar range, not includiing the concrete pad which would have tto be made for it.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

My parents installed one that could power 3 separate zones of their house separately; you had to switch it between zones, but that worked for them, as they could switch off the kitchen zone to use the bedroom zone (ceiling track lift, adjustable bed, bathroom lights) and then switch the kitchen zone back on to keep the refrigerator running. Theirs cost less than $1000 (without installation). My dad was an EE, and installed it himself.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

kld solar or propane generator I had whole house in ga it was about 5700 it was12k my son has it now I have a propane portable that is 5000 but I want solar to power computors I use portable for elevator and freezer and whatever else I need I run it about 6 hrs a day

I was considering it for the house I was building by the initial cost is prohibitive to me at this point. For small things I’m not really sure the benefit is there enough

Blog Entries
    Been living off grid, here in the desert southwest since Feb of last year 2018. I have 3x 270 watt panels, 25 amp pwm charge controller, a 1000w inverter in a 24volt system with 4x 100ah marine batteries- flooded lead acid, a 3500 watt generator for tool power and back up to recharge my batteries on cloudy days. I drive my power chair out to the panels and have wired it so I can add/plug the batteries into the bank for recharging daily/ every few days, as the need arises. I use solar rechargeable led lights inside and out to see when I do not have my 2 110v bulbs on inside. Run my computers/hughes net dish/fota dish and tvs/monitors from the inverter. I have ham radios that I run from 3 lawn mower batts that are recharged by 4x 12v el cheapo panels my neighbor brought over when I first moved here, he is also a ham operator. The real key is learning not to WASTE power. Your refrigerator/freezer doesn't need to 'run' full time. You turn them on and off as needed, by hand. Efficiency/insulation/design is key. Vertical cold storage is wasteful. Horizontal is best as cold air sinks, ie, when you open the door, all the cold air doesn't 'fall out'. I use no refrig/freezer nor ac. If you can't hack the heat, get out of the kitchen I use a little buddy propane heater for heat. I went until Dec 7 w/o heat until I installed my insulation panels myself, in my 40ft container.