Thread: Politically active from home?

Politically active from home?

Has anybody here participated in political or social organizations from home? I know the thing to do is contact the groups themselves, but I wonder if anyone here would share their experiences. I did GOTV but would love to be involved in voter registration and organizing. Are there orgs, duties, campaign functions that are particularly good for that kind of outreach? Thanks.

You want to be active in general, or to support a specific candidate or policy?

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    You want to be active in general, or to support a specific candidate or policy?

Hi, I was asking just in general if anybody had this kind of experience. Actually I'll be calling around to write a story on this in the next few days.

I did sign up for the Sanders campaign, so I'm curious what they have available. I'm also interested in voter registration. So much of effective political work is achieved face-to-face and by knocking on doors, which is a problem for me in a chair.

btw I like your writing in the blog.

TY! I'm deterred by the obstacles of door-to-door. We did it, as kids campaigning for my Dad. It really is effective. Presidential elections are so crucial at this point, would be awesome if you participate. There are always phones to be answered, for a candidate, and envelopes to be stuffed. Campaigns are also FUN. I have no idea how you get involved in registering ppl to vote. Important work tho!

That's so cool. What office did your father run for? I have worked on a few campaigns, so I've got the taste for it. I'll probably end up doing phones again because that's important too. I'm signed up so I should find out soon.

He was County Attorney, State Representative, State Senator, made a run at Congress but narrowly lost to Joe Skubitz. It was a good showing for a Dem in Kansas. That campaign was the end of my parent's marriage. All told, Dad had 35 years or so experience in Topeka. In election years, we'd hit every small town rodeo, fair, parade. We walked around and handed out brochures. If they still do that, it could be done from a chair. Esp the parades!

Gets in your blood, doesn't it? When I was helping to arrange rallies/lobbying in DC, it got the same feeling. I really love that feeling!!

Wow, do some for me, Bethany. The first feeling I get working a crowd is bladder urgency.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I have no idea how you get involved in registering ppl to vote. Important work tho!
    A great organization for volunteers for this is the League of Women Voters. Non-partisan, but they work hard to get people to vote, and provide non-biased information about candidates and other ballot issues. https://www.lwv.org/

I am involved in the Medicare for All fight (poor name, as it would be a much better single payor plan than the current Medicare). Although this organization is part of the largest national nurses union in the USA, you don't have to be a nurse or a member of the union to get involved. We need more people with disabilities to get involved in this fight, and letter writing and calls to Congressional representatives is just one of the things you can do as a volunteer from home. https://www.nationalnursesunited.org/medicare-for-all

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

KLD – This is exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks for the links and info. Nurses (and teachers) don't take no mess, which gives me hope for the MFA fight: I wouldn't want to be on the other side!

Betheny – So you've worked plenty of campaigns. Bet you've got some great stories. I've always found election work exciting, which is weird because socially I'm pretty awkward. Shrug.