Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: plugged catheter

Let us know what they say. I am out of suggestions unless you want to try microcyn.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Let us know what they say. I am out of suggestions unless you want to try microcyn.

ckf
    they were great got me in today did cat scan where you laydown go thru a tube have appt 17 to to look see if any stone and take care of them meanwhile irrigate dayly

I believe I was doing it wron I was just do cathe so now will do the correct way 40 to 60 in and out a couple of time

You should leave the fluid in that you instill for a few minutes. Then, let it drain out normally. That may help to break up some of the sediment.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

You should leave the fluid in that you instill for a few minutes. Then, let it drain out normally. That may help to break up some of the sediment.

ckf
    will do but dam it we irrigated today then I took my bath an hr ago I thought when she put it in I leaked dam if I did so frustrated I was not soaked but wet is wet

so glad I go in the 17 ckf thank you flr all you nurses do appreciate

Blog Entries
    I was having terrible problems with clogging. Got a cysto to remove my bladder stones, and I drink a lot of water every day, and it cleared up.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I was having terrible problems with clogging. Got a cysto to remove my bladder stones, and I drink a lot of water every day, and it cleared up.
    I am thinking that I hope as its been 3 years and I drink a lot of water

What kind of catheter are you using?
    Have you been checked for a urinary tract yeast infection?
    What technique are you using for irrigation?
    Have you used other solutions than acetic acid?

(KLD)

What kind of catheter are you using?
    Have you been checked for a urinary tract yeast infection?
    What technique are you using for irrigation?
    Have you used other solutions than acetic acid?

(KLD)
    good morning

ducette fr 18

no I have not I will ask them

clean we clean 60cc sringe with bleach water then 60cc vinegar water do it like in and out 2 times then as suggested clean 60 cc vinegar water pushed in let drain natural

no fever urine clear those white strings that I had for a month a couple of weeks ago they are gone for last 2 weeks was dry yesterday and this am w

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    good morning

ducette fr 18

no I have not I will ask them

clean we clean 60cc sringe with bleach water then 60cc vinegar water do it like in and out 2 times then as suggested clean 60 cc vinegar water pushed in let drain natural

no fever urine clear those white strings that I had for a month a couple of weeks ago they are gone for last 2 weeks was dry yesterday and this am w
    dumb question what is a urineary yeast infection?

A Teflon or Silastic coated catheter is less likely to clog. Have you tried that instead of the Poiesis Duette?

Have you tried just plain sterile normal saline? Irrigating with non-sterile water and vinegar with non-sterile technique sets you up for introducing bacteria and yeasts into your bladder which could also be making you over-produce thick mucous.

Are you forcefully irrigating and flushing the irrigant back and forth, including sucking it out the catheter with the syringe? This is what irrigation is. If you are just pushing in fluid and then allowing it to drain out by gravity, that is instillation, which is used for putting medication into the bladder, but is ineffective in clearing mucous, clots, or other clogs.

Yeast (Candida) infections of the urinary tract are not uncommon in indwelling catheter users. You usually see clumps of white mucous-type material in the urine. These clumps can clog catheters. Yeast urinary tract infections can be difficult to treat. Most urologists find use of fluconazole (an oral antifungal that provides high urine concentrations) is the antifungal agent of choice Rarely, amphotericin B or flucytosine urinary tract flushes are used.

(KLD)