Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Fingernails?

Cutting Fingernails?

How do you guys and gals cut your fingernails? I am a C6-7 quad and I really can't use a fingernail clipper on myself. I have been just chewing down my nails my whole life until last week I chipped a front tooth doing this. I can use a nail file once the nail has been cut down. My wife will always cut my finger nails for me but I am tired of depending on her to do this and I would prefer to do it to myself.
    Is there some kind of battery operated fingernail "sander" like a Dremel tool but for fingernails?
    Thanks! And a happy and healthy new year to everyone.

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you KLD! I order one of each type. I have been letting nails grow till they break off.

Why not just file them every few days or once a week

My podiatrist uses a dremel on my toe nails. Try mounting the dremel in a vice so its easier to manage.

Let us know which one works for you. Always happy to know different options.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This one is pricey but a great idea. Just wish it was about $100 less in price.

https://clipdifferent.com/

I ended up buying the "PureNails Professional Manicure and Pedicure Kit" for $50 on Amazon. I just used it yesterday and it works like a charm. I really only need the disc sander but it comes with several attachments. Plus it plugs in so I won?t have to use batteries or place it on a charging station that just takes up counter space. Best of all, now I can just trim my fingernails without begging my old lady to do it for me. Plus no more chipped teeth from chewing down my fingernails. Also a lot of bacteria can get stuck under your fingernails so it will help to reduce any UTIs when I catheterize myself. It cost $50 but I?m sure it will be well worth it. It seems like a nicely made device.
    Last edited by smokey; 10-06-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Wire cutters.

In a previous vocation I was an electronic technician doing component level circuit board repair. I used Xuron micro shear wire cutters. Post injury C6-C7 I use the Xuron cutters to cut my nails nice and close. They work using one hand and a flat hard surface. Cost? $12-$15 a pair.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

My aide does my fingers and the podiatrist does my feet.