Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underwear question

Underwear question

My son is scared of pressure sore (rightly so) and won't wear underwear that has any lines on the back. His wheelchair cushion is a roho. What is the best suggestion and do lines in the back matter? His current underwear doesn't have any, but he needs a larger size. Also, does type of material matter?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dee1843 View Post
    My son is scared of pressure sore (rightly so) and won't wear underwear that has any lines on the back. His wheelchair cushion is a roho. What is the best suggestion and do lines in the back matter? His current underwear doesn't have any, but he needs a larger size. Also, does type of material matter?

Thanks!

My husband doesn't like seams in the back either so we buy Hanes Boxer Briefs in a 5 pack at Target.

There's a brand called Glidewear for sale on Amazon, but $60 dollars per pair seems a lot of money.

Regular pressure relief is still more important though.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 12-30-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Have not worn underware in at least 24 years. Not because I was concerned about seams but just was easier without it.

Lots of guys with SCI/D go commando because they want to 1) avoid the hassle of putting on/taking off underwear in addition to slacks, 2) avoid the hassle of dealing with them when doing intermittent cath in their chair, and 3) to avoid seams and wrinkles that could cause problems with skin breakdown. On the other hand, wearing briefs can help prevent sitting on the scrotum, a problem for many men with SCI.

Many who do wear underwear wear knit boxers with no seams in the back, or knit long-leg briefs. Mesh synthetic fabric that breathes is usually better than cotton.

Here are some examples:
    https://www.macys.com/shop/product/p...efs?ID=6302798
    https://www.fruit.com/men/underwear/...or=103#start=3

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Not worn any underwear for over 30 years unless going be in building that requires a search or to doctor/clinic visit that will need partly undress. On those occasions wear compression/soft knit type for like I think bike riders wear that are longer, mid thigh, only get a size or 2 to large so easier get on and back off.
    I have something like those I think KLD posted. Synthetic for winter cold that down to calf, again get larger than need for ease on/off.

I wouldn't go without undermypants

Besides being poor hygiene, lack of underpants results in your skin constantly scraping against your pants with each and every movement of your body against your cushion (or any other surface). Underpants buffer your skin from this shear force. But they have to be snug so that they move with your skin rather than against it. Compression style underpants are a good choice. Because they are snug and they also wick moisture to help keep the skin dry.

It's probably better to wear no underpants than loose underpants. Because loose underpants not only fail to eliminate shear force, but also may bunch up and create a pressure point.

This company was very helpful with questions and offered to make custom items. Quality is great. Underpants lasted several years. I still own compression t-shirts that I bought from them over 10 years ago.

https://www.underworks.com/men-boxers-and-briefs
    Last edited by August West; 12-31-2018 at 06:40 AM.

I would agree that you do not want underwear that is too loose. Howerever, I don't think that you need to spend $60 per pair on them either. The seam could cause problems, so I would try to avoid underwear with them. The suggestions above should be helpful.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I will put in a good word for GlideWear. You can buy on Amazon. Yes they are spendy but really do reduce shearing and friction. They do also last for several years so that helps on the price. They have made a huge difference for me in terms of shearing wounds . i do think i may try knit boxers listed above i would be scared to go commando with shearing history.

I do have a question i live in cold climate. If i do not wear long underwear my legs feel ice cold to the touch (no sensation) however if i do wear long underwear i have fungus growth in groin area. but legs feel normal to the touch. Is there risk in skipping the long underwear and having my legs be that cold?

I wear Lands End boxer briefs. They do have a soft seam, but it's up your hip further and you aren't sitting directly on it. I'd be sitting on my balls all day if I went commando....

I have shear problems. I have been wearing compression underwear from a bike site. They are all nylon and only (ha only) $20 a pair. No padding in them. I can't say if they have helped shear wounds, because I've had a couyple small ones in the 3 years I've worn them. They do make it a lot easier to get your pants off and on though. I'm going to try the long leg cotton briefs for a while.
    I've had problems with the chair cushions rolling up under me when I transfer in the last couple years, (i'm old as dirt) so I just sewed a strap under the front and that's stopped that problem.