Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transportation for work

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    See the OP's response in post #4 above.

(KLD)
    Thank you, it's curious you saw *not* and we missed it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

You might be interested in exploring tax deductions. When I worked there was a place to put "disability related work expenses", and it was NOT under medical expenses, but separate. Thus the full expenditure was deductible. It might be under "Other" deductions.
    With that in mind, funds you pay for a driver to drive you to work (not shopping, etc.) would be deductible. In addition, you may be able to deduct part of expenses to run a van - if that's the vehicle you need due to disability. You would not deduct the portion normally used for a person to commute in a standard vehicle.
    I used to deduct a percentage of my van for commuting to work - something like 20%, gas, maintenance, repairs.
    When the van was brand new I deducted a similar percentage of the modifications that I paid for: hand controls, power seat, power doors, wheelchair lift.
    I'm sorry I don't know the current rules on this and thus I suggest you discuss this with a tax professional. Avoid placing such deductions under "Medical". They are not medical, they are work expenses - kinda like taking clients to lunch, going to a professional workshop, etc.etc.