Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transportation for work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Transportation for work

How does everyone else get to work when there is no public transportation available (apparently I?m outside the area). Only solution I could Think of is having my caregiver do split shifts where they drop me off in the morning and pick me up at the end of the day.

Obviously I have my own vehicle, And I can?t transfer myself into a regular car.

Contact Vocational Rehabilitation in your area, since you are working they are a great help.
    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

What is your level of injury? Can you not drive your own vehicle? The California Dept of Rehabilitation may pay for needed modifications and driver's training.

http://www.dor.ca.gov/Vocational-Rehabilitation.html

Have you tried using the Dial-a-Ride/paratransit services in your area?

http://www.lake-elsinore.org/city-ha...transportation

https://www.riversidetransit.com/ind...is-dial-a-ride

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What is your level of injury? Can you not drive your own vehicle? The California Dept of Rehabilitation may pay for needed modifications and driver's training.

http://www.dor.ca.gov/Vocational-Rehabilitation.html

Have you tried using the Dial-a-Ride/paratransit services in your area?

http://www.lake-elsinore.org/city-ha...transportation

https://www.riversidetransit.com/ind...is-dial-a-ride

(KLD)
    I am a quadriplegic c4, i’m not able to drive myself. I already tried dial a ride And apparently I’m outside the area I’m also in a new neighborhood so some of the areas don’t have sidewalks.

So it looks like your only real option at this time is to have your PCA or a family member/friend drive you to/from work. Is it an option to move closer to your work, or to an area where the paratransit does serve people?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Moving is out of the question but I’m assuming they’ll expand the paratransit soon. Thanks SCI-nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajtut View Post
    Moving is out of the question but I’m assuming they’ll expand the paratransit soon. Thanks SCI-nurse.
    Have you been in touch with your Independent Living Center (CIL) for your area? They should be advocating for you and others in the area to get more access to paratransit, consistent with the ADA.

(KLD)

Did I miss something? I don't see what your injury is. There are vehicles that you drive from your chair. Then there's Uber, lyft, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajtut View Post
    How does everyone else get to work when there is no public transportation available (apparently I?m outside the area). Only solution I could Think of is having my caregiver do split shifts where they drop me off in the morning and pick me up at the end of the day.

Obviously I have my own vehicle, And I can?t transfer myself into a regular car.
    It is not obvious from what you wrote exactly what the issue is. Is it that you drive a converted van, but there is only parking available for regular cars?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Did I miss something? I don't see what your injury is. There are vehicles that you drive from your chair. Then there's Uber, lyft, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    It is not obvious from what you wrote exactly what the issue is. Is it that you drive a converted van, but there is only parking available for regular cars?
    See the OP's response in post #4 above.

(KLD)