Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red heel

Red heel

My left heel has gotten red from not floating it in bed. Should I be using Skin Prep or Alcohol Prep Pads on it.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

start of a pressure sore no pressure on it till it has healed. and float your heels in bed.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

If the skin is not broken, no need for putting anything on it. Massage it lightly to bring circulation to the area.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Absolutely do NOT massage the red area!!! This will add physical trauma to the low oxygen damaged tissues.

I assume the area does not blanche?

If the skin is unbroken, and it become purple or very deep maroon, it is most likely a deep tissue injury. No dressing, creams, or other products will make any difference with the healing. You must keep all pressure off it completely, with luck it will not develop further into a deep open pressure ulcer. If the area becomes hard like a scab, do not let anyone debride or clean off the scab. Leave it in place until it falls off by itself. This can take several months.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by tvot View Post
    My left heel has gotten red from not floating it in bed. Should I be using Skin Prep or Alcohol Prep Pads on it.
    I don't have the expertise to give you any advice I'm treating the red spot but my heels got to where I would have very bright red spots in the morning since I always slept on my back. I bought a half sheepskin to go under my lower legs and that completely eliminated the red spots from forming.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If the area becomes hard like a scab, do not let anyone debride or clean off the scab. Leave it in place until it falls off by itself. This can take several months.

(KLD)
    How do you know it can take several months if you did not even see the wound?

Quote Originally Posted by K_Soze View Post
    How do you know it can take several months if you did not even see the wound?
    40+ years of experience managing pressure injuries in people with SCI/D. Heel deep pressure wounds are very common, and follow this path of healing if the person is lucky.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Ditto- not 40 + years but getting close. Float your heels and take the pressure off. CWO

Please, can we tone this down a little.

Do not masssage the area. If the skin is not broken, do not put anything on it. If you routinely use cream or lotion on your feet, you can continue to do so.

Float the area and try to keep any pressure off of it. That includes shoes, tight socks, etc.

And see your SCI practitioner.

ckf

Inappropriate responses removed (again). Be respectful of each other. Thanks.

(KLD)