Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart: No shopping Baskets for Disabled

Wal-Mart: No shopping Baskets for Disabled

There are two large Wal-Mart stores in my town, yet in the several years I have shopped at both, neither have been able to provide a basket that would sit on my lap while I wheel through the store. Each time I've asked the answer is the same--THE CUSTOMERS TAKE THEM AWAY. Store managers insist baskets are ordered, but never arrive. Checking in others stores; Target; Hobby Lobby, Harbor Freight, Kroger, Dollar Tree and others I find ample supplies of baskets, conveniently placed for wheelers' use. I spoke to a customer representative at WM headquarters and got pretty much the same lame story. I can only conclude Wal Mart made a corporate decision to exclude people who use mobility devices than provide shopping baskets to a small segment of the population. If you are experiencing similar bias in shopping at Wal-Mart, please respond to this post.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

The low life assholes kept stealing the baskets so Wal-Fart stopped replacing them.

Well, they are dealing with Walmart clientele

Perhaps a more upmarket store such as Goodwill, Dollar Tree, etc may provide a more refined shopping experience?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    There are two large Wal-Mart stores in my town, yet in the several years I have shopped at both, neither have been able to provide a basket that would sit on my lap while I wheel through the store. Each time I've asked the answer is the same--THE CUSTOMERS TAKE THEM AWAY. Store managers insist baskets are ordered, but never arrive. Checking in others stores; Target; Hobby Lobby, Harbor Freight, Kroger, Dollar Tree and others I find ample supplies of baskets, conveniently placed for wheelers' use. I spoke to a customer representative at WM headquarters and got pretty much the same lame story. I can only conclude Wal Mart made a corporate decision to exclude people who use mobility devices than provide shopping baskets to a small segment of the population. If you are experiencing similar bias in shopping at Wal-Mart, please respond to this post.
    It is a corporate decision. They told me so. The same thing happened where I live, so I called corporate and complained. Those carts are also used a lot by the elderly. Anyway, the phone call for me worked. They now have two large piles of carts every time I go at two of the Wal-Mart's near me. They should do it everywhere though, not just when someone complains.

Things have been going backwards in other stores too. A rite aid pharmacy near me recently changed over to Walgreens. With the take over came some renovations. They moved the machines that you swipe the debit cards way up high and out of reach. They were perfectly accessible before that. I called corporate for that as well. They took all my informatipn and said they will investigate. She said that it will be fixed. That is still in the works., so I'm waiting to see what happens.

I guess my point is, keep being the squeaky wheel. Maybe it will help. Maybe not, but worth a try.

Laundry basket

Walmart Oberlin got rid of their baskets last year and replaced them with half size shopping carts. I gave up on those small baskets stores offer.

I use a kidney shaped laundry basket when you can load up the basket with food for the entire week! I keep an extra one in the back of the van too.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I use Walmart online its ready when I want put into car everything is fresh no bad expiration date if they sub u ok it and its always better than u order 30.00 minute I love it been using 8 month never never a bad experience

I keep a late model Shoprite basket alongside the A&P one.
    An over-zealous manager insisted on confiscating the basket I'd used for years so I got an A&P one.

After a couple years, everyone recognized me-Phil Crip/no bags, fill the basket! And problem ended so I now use the higher capacity newer Shoprite basket.

I missed my opportunity when the manager took my basket and asked me "what would happen if we let everybody take one?"
    Right! What would happen if every person in a wheelchair took a basket, what a problem you would have!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Walmart has been like that for quite a while where I'm from. Before I realized I could push a cart fairly easily as a para (it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this out), I would just go find a box in the store that would fit on my lap and load everything into that. The paint/hardware section is a good place to find one. Sometimes spray paint cans or rolls of tape come in boxes that are made to have the top torn off, and then hold the products until all are sold out. I would dump one of these out and fill up the box with whatever I wanted to purchase and take it to the register that way. No one ever said anything. On some rare occasions I would happen by an employee who was restocking shelves and loading empty boxes into a big pile, then I would have a larger selection of boxes to pick from and get the one that fit my lap the best, but this was a very unreliable and rare method. I've also just grabbed a big plastic tub or laundry basket like Timotion showed, and loaded that up and used it to bring my stuff to the front (or until I could acquire a cardboard box), the only problem with that is if you're not going to buy the tub/basket, you're gonna have to be able to carry all of the bags to your car on your lap (I've never seen a walmart employee help anyone bring stuff to their car).

Perhaps the solution is to turn the table on Wal-Mart and take a container from their sales shelf, load it with your purchases. At checkout state that you are not purchasing the basket. If you use self check out simply leave the store's basket there. You get the convenience of a lap basket and make a statement, too. Wheelers are not to be trifled with.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

I was going to advise this ( if they dont listen and act on your request, gather items on your lap. If they fall to the ground, leave them there. Maybe that might cause them to see reason and exercise some logic )

wazabiker, don't wait on them to provide what you require, buy your own, empower yourself; f*ck them.

I don't know if we have a Walmart down this way......I have a vague recollection that there may have been one in the Manukau Shopping Centre??? It has been years since though.

I gave up on balancing boxes on my lap; too many mishaps and I found it to be too slow due to the caution required.
    I am fortunate that I have full use of both arms and can use the wheeled trolley. As a preference I use the smaller capacity units and steer the trolley with one arm and propel my chair with the other. It is an easy method to master, like an articulated vehicle. The trolley is your steer bogey and only requires a small amount of wrist/arm strength.
    The added bonus for myself is that I find it quite a bit of fun negotiating the aisles, especially on the busy days; a nice sense of achievement.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 12-28-2018 at 03:42 PM.