Thread: anyone familiar with EWR (newark, nj airport)?

anyone familiar with EWR (newark, nj airport)?

I land at 6:20pm tomorrow evening and am hoping to catch a 7:40pm nj transit train from the Newark Airport station. I'll have my chair but not any other equipment to wait for... just a checked bag. I'm flying United and am thus assuming we'll be pulling into Terminal B. With potential Xmas eve craziness, waiting around for my chair to come up from down below, the time it takes for bags to come up and a girlfriend who can push me in that chair (with luggage piled high on my lap) pretty damn fast, what do you think our chances of making it are? And if you think there's a shot, do we sprint from baggage claim to station or would taking the AirTrain be advised?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Keep in mind that you will most likely be the last one off the plane, and Christmas eve is notorious for causing flight delays all across the country, so it would be surprising if you actually land at that time. I have not been at that airport, but it sounds like you are cutting it too thin.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Way too thin for the holiday season. Even if you had carry on bags the time for aisle chairs is not short on a good day. But there should be extra runs of everything including buses. And be very nice to the working but unpaid TSA people. We had to deal with BCP in 2013 during the shutdown and I think everyone at the Niagara Falls crossing point were a tad annoyed over their paychecks. I was morexpecting than a tad annoyed when the National Park Service closed the Salem Witches Museum. They didn't close the National Cathedral why a haven for Witches?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

EWR is much more reliable than Laguardia and JFK. If the plane lands close to on time you should make it. I've been pleased using EWR.

I hope the NJ Transit works out for you. If you have someone with you it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by daveh0 View Post
    I land at 6:20pm tomorrow evening and am hoping to catch a 7:40pm nj transit train from the Newark Airport station. I'll have my chair but not any other equipment to wait for... just a checked bag. I'm flying United and am thus assuming we'll be pulling into Terminal B. With potential Xmas eve craziness, waiting around for my chair to come up from down below, the time it takes for bags to come up and a girlfriend who can push me in that chair (with luggage piled high on my lap) pretty damn fast, what do you think our chances of making it are? And if you think there's a shot, do we sprint from baggage claim to station or would taking the AirTrain be advised?

Sorry missed your post but yeah you can make it but dont you take your chair to the plane and it should be there when you get ready to deplane 20 min tops to get off the plane. If your in a rush and your bag will fit I would have put in the over head.

You have to take AirTrain to get to NJ train ticket area its a real short trip from B. Plus you dont say where you need to go be most trains at that time run about 15 min 1/2 hour later tops if you miss.

Biggest issue is arriving late do to snow and weather conditions.

Have fun!

Note that the OP was traveling on Christmas eve, so giving him advice now is not going to do much good.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for all the responses. It turns out that the stars were aligned and we caught a couple breaks at the right points. The airports were ghost towns, so no lines anywhere. Flight departed and arrived on time. I don't require an aisle chair or any assistance deplaning, so there was no waiting around for that. My gate-checked chair came up in just about average time I'd say (we were off the plane before 40% of the passengers). We only waited about 5 minutes at baggage claim and then were right on the AirTrain and at the NJ Transit station about 30 minutes before our train.

I could easily see 1 or more factors going differently greatly affecting the outcome... things not going smoothly at baggage probably being the biggest detriment. Without a backup plan, I never would have chanced it. But compared to other airports I've been through (holiday or not), I was pretty pleased with Newark... and of course thrilled to be able to stick to Plan A, not have to get involved with any aspect of our contingency plan.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***