Thread: Bedding / sheets

Question Bedding / sheets

I just started using a hospital bed. I have a Span America Geo-Mattress-Max Therapeutic Foam Mattress
    https://www.phc-online.com/Therapeutic_Foam_Mattress_p/geo-matt-max.htm

And I am using sateen sheets like I have always used on my regular bed, they help me be able to slide and move.

The problem I have is I am getting sweaty and stuck to the sheets?
    I think the problem is the mattress cover? I never had this issue before...

"Cover - The bacteriostatic top fabric is fire resistant, fluidproof, tear resistant, cleanable,
    and replaceable. The pleated design allows full integration with the mattress?s Geo-Matt style
    shear-relieving surface while minimizing hammocking."

I think the problem is the cover not breathable?

Would it help to put a standard cotton sheet on under the sateen sheets? Or something else?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Ron.

Re: "I think the problem is the cover not breathable?"
    You're probably right on this since it's described as "fluid proof"
    If your sateen sheets are 100% cotton, they'll have a tighter weave than standard cotton sheets.
    Too many sheet layers over the cover fabric could lead to the fabric wrinkling and cause ridges on your skin
    I found this link to sheet types that may help:
    https://www.bustle.com/p/the-10-best...ll-night-55994

What about a mattress pad, or two? They would help a lot more with breathabilty than a cotton sheet. This all depends on why you went to a hospital bed and what your over all requirements are.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Hi. Heat up in bed due to sheets.
    My hospital bed has mattress that's a no turn-over the mattress due to construction. But, it's suppose to have gel layer on top, which you would think like chair cushions would be cold til after being on it awhile to warm up but since mattress has a waterproof cover made around it it just normal room temp then heats up when laying on it.
    My bed is over-size, think called Heavy=duty or bariatric bed by insurance since I wanted wider than 36". Mine is 43" X 80" mattress which size is great for room but sheets off the shelf is hard to find.
    I use deep pocket(for thick mattresses) so will help fit bed size.
    I use 100% jersey sheets, still heats up and sweat, even though I have poor circulation which causes me to be cool to cold all the time.

The link 2drwhofans provided my wife has used a few of the type of sheets there on her be. She burns up all the time, year round.
    Bamboo Sheets she says they don't heat up bad but they stretch quite a bit.
    MicroFiber sheets don't stretch but are fair about heat.
    Mama is thinking about trying some sheets made out of from Wiki information: SHEEX linens are notable for being constructed not from cotton or silk but the type of advanced performance fabrics commonly found in modern athletic wear. They suppose to be cooling, quick drying and soft.
    Here's a link to their website:
    https://www.sheex.com/performance-be...QaAg2iEALw_wcB
    If you scroll down towards bottom of their page they have one called Slky-Soft Woven Sateen 100% Viscose from Bamboo.

"Good Luck!"

These are the sheets I am using... And I "Hope" to keep using, as they work
    well for me, helping me slide, move, transfer...

https://www.shopbedding.com/luxuriou...set-15011.html

Maybe I can put something under them?

Thanks
    Ron

Cotton blend knit sheets are actually better for your skin (bottom sheet). You can use whatever top sheet you want. The cotton knit stretches to allow you to be enveloped more by the mattress rather than hammocking on top such as with the sateen sheets.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

So any ideas what I can put under the sheets so I don't get so sweaty? Something
    breathable?

Quote Originally Posted by Rononwheels;
    The problem I have is I am getting sweaty and stuck to the sheets?
    I think the problem is the mattress cover? I never had this issue before...

"[B
    Cover[/B] - The bacteriostatic top fabric is fire resistant, fluidproof, tear resistant, cleanable,
    and replaceable. The pleated design allows full integration with the mattress?s Geo-Matt style
    shear-relieving surface while minimizing hammocking."

I think the problem is the cover not breathable?

Would it help to put a standard cotton sheet on under the sateen sheets? Or something else?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Ron.

Just keep in mind that the more layers of linen, including mattress pads, between you and the mattress will reduce the pressure reducing properties of this mattress.

You can try a regular cotton quilted mattress pad, ideally cotton, but with the caution above.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.