Thread: pharmacy woes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

pharmacy woes

I started with a set of circumstances that is not new to me, and probably not to anyone who takes regular meds. Simply put, I made the travel plans that I could swing and they didn't line up with refill dates for 1 of my scripts. I've been through this several times over the course of my SCI-dom, have seen my doctor in plenty of time to arrange an early refill and things have been fine. Not so much this last time. I saw my Dr last week (deliberately, a week earlier than usual), went to the pharmacy right after and was told, yes we just need to verify with your doc and get insurance approval. Same as always. I called back the next day and was told that because it was a pain med (and Yes I am fully aware of and in agreement with both the existence of and reasoning for such scrutiny with respect to controlled substances) and such an early refill (~10 days early at the time of initial drop-off) that the earliest I could pick it up was today. No problem, that's why I started all this early. I was assured when I spoke to the pharmacy the day after dropping off that they had received the appropriate authorizations and that I could just cal ahead to pick it up today. It's never been an issue so I didn't feel the need to triple-check, but I guess that's where I went wrong.

So I showed up today at the pharmacy to do some shopping and grab my meds and was told they were still awaiting Dr authorization. Of course, the Dr office staff is not in the office today and won't be until after I am scheduled to leave for my trip. The last day to resolve this would have been yesterday, which I didn't know was required because I was already assured we were good to go.

In my expression of... not even sure what to call it... something..., I was told by the pharmacy staff that they have no record of a fax being sent to my Dr (or insurance provider) for confirmation/authorization nor anyone talking to them directly as I was told had happened 24 hours after dropping the prescription off. This seams unbelievable to me for 3 reasons: 1). I can't imagine (and have yet to experience) even the lowest-wrung healthcare employee who fully understands the situation at hand would blatantly fabricate this conversation with my Dr's office 2). Unless I'm wrong about #1, the whole process started with a fax sent through some sort of software being run by the pharmacy - again not knowing for sure (but being in the software biz), my guess would be that at least a record of the outgoing fax would be logged somewhere. 3) when I called my insurance company earlier this week to confirm everything was ok on their end, they were aware of the early refill request and determined that they couldn't/wouldn't pay until today (as opposed to sometime this past week like I would have liked).

Anyway, I was able to get the script filled but it involved calling my Dr's office, jumping through many, many hoops with the on-call doc, who was understandably less-than-thrilled (and thus a peach to explain all this to) about the entire situation, and finally many more hoops with the pharmacy.

I'm super frustrated and mostly just venting. And I also take ultimate responsibility for securing my meds... I just have never had this issue before where I've been told I'm good to go for such-and-such date and then be told the opposite upon arrival.

But I am trying to get all the facts straight for when I do submit my complaint to the pharmacy and for the explanation that I surely will have to give my Dr at my next appointment next month. I can't imagine that a pharmacy has to log every bit of patient communication (such as info given over the phone), do they? But am I right in thinking that if the fax to my Dr's office for the initial confirmation was in fact sent (as I was told last week when I first dropped it off), that there should be some record of it in their system? The actual pharmacist wasn't there to speak with today by the time I had calmed down enough to make these inquires again, but maybe he has access to info in my file that the rest of the staff did not?

Just trying to make sense of it all.
    Last edited by daveh0; 12-23-2018 at 09:41 AM.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***