Thread: New SmartDrive MX2+ NOT charging

New SmartDrive MX2+ NOT charging

Quick Bio

Disability: C6 complete from diving accident in 1976 (42 years post)
    Health: above average

Hello All,

I just got a new MX2+ this week and everything works as advertised. The problem is I don?t think it is charging. I am down to three LED Blue lights on SD, I then stuck magnetic charger in for three hours and it is still at three LED lights.......thought it should charged to four LED Blue lights. The light on the charger stays green and never turns RED when plugged in. Do I have to wait for it to totally discharge before I charge for the first time ? Is there some kind of trick to the magnetic charging plug ? Thanks.

-Ronnie
    Last edited by reaton; 12-22-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Does the SD still work? Have you cycled through the Fit Bit to see what it shows for a charge? Take it out and use it, until it gets down to 3 lights and then try to charge it.
    Give Max Mobility a call after Xmas. They have been very helpful to me.

Baldfatdad....the wrist band shows SD at 75% and yes, the SD works fine. I want to get it to 100%, but can't get it past 75%. If I can't figure this out, I will call Max Mobility next week. The DME brought it out 2 days ago fully charged and I have put 4 miles on it. Thanks.

-Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by reaton View Post
    Baldfatdad....the wrist band shows SD at 75% and yes, the SD works fine. I want to get it to 100%, but can't get it past 75%. If I can't figure this out, I will call Max Mobility next week. The DME brought it out 2 days ago fully charged and I have put 4 miles on it. Thanks.

-Ronnie
    Just to let you know, my first SD had a faulty charger. It was the opposite problem. Mine would not stop charging (MX1). I had to send everything back. But that is the best option. Don't settle, it should work exactly as the instructions indicate.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

With a lithium battery, the charger is supposed to be unplugged when not charging. I think it discharges the load in the charger. You may want to try unplugging the charger for a couple of minutes and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    With a lithium battery, the charger is supposed to be unplugged when not charging. I think it discharges the load in the charger. You may want to try unplugging the charger for a couple of minutes and try again.
    This is news to me. Doesn't the charger have a diode in it to stop discharge or do lithium cycle constantly? I leave my battery drills plugged in all the time with no apparent damage.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    This is news to me. Doesn't the charger have a diode in it to stop discharge or do lithium cycle constantly? I leave my battery drills plugged in all the time with no apparent damage.
    The problem with lithium is consistency of FAQS, google type resources. Part of the problem is the different types of lithiums may respond to different charge/storage/use methods. For example I know a well respected source that says do not store a lithium at more than a 60% charge, but then charge it to full just before using it. I never do that. I fully charge, and try to keep them fully charged. My 48V LiFePo4 is over 5 years old and is fine with this procedure. And so are the 24V NMCs. Those don't even seem to loose charge just sitting around.

As for the chargers, they are supposed to cut off when the demand has ceased. Having had one that failed, I do not trust them so like Patrick, I disconnect as soon as I see that the battery has been charged. The part of the story I'm leaving out is that lithiums are not designed for trickle charge. That part is widely accepted in what I've read.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hello All,

Found my problem. The magnetic disk that Is contained in your rubber cover plug that protects your receptacle pins had gotten sucked out and into the receptacle housing. This was preventing the charging plug from making a flush contact with the receptacle pins. Max Mobility said they were sending me a new rubber plug as if this was a known problem. I was able to take a pair of needle nose pliers and remove the magnetic disk and now charging is working as designed. Thanks.

-Ronnie