Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joystick "tip" coming off (readily)

Joystick "tip" coming off (readily)

I was in the process of refurbishing a donated (Invacare) powerchair for a local client and was unexpectedly "rushed" (client wanted chair before XMAS break).

As it was being loaded onto their pickup, I noticed the "tip" of the joystick came off (easily! intentionally??) leaving the underlying metal rod (stem) exposed. I.e., the flexible "boot" remains but with a metal rod protruding that the "tip" was intended to cover. Note that the tip slides back on just as easily as it came off -- but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it rolls under a piece of furniture or is otherwise "lost".

Rather than leave the chair to be repaired (and be without it until after the new year), client dismissed the issue as unimportant.

Of course, this will come back to bite me (no good deed goes unpunished).

Questions:
    • why so easy to remove the tip? I.e., is something missing that would have secured it? Or, perhaps the "correct" tip was lost and this is just something that was thrown on it at some time in the past by the donor?
    • how can I instruct the client as to an easy/robust means of repairing it (as I'm sure they won't be keen on bringing the chair back for that fix)? I suspect adhesives will just pose problems down the road (adhering rubber to metal?). Perhaps wrap some electrical tape (or, ideally, friction tape!) around the stem to increase its girth until the tip is a snug fit?

In past had happen and just used thick glue, forget what name/brand was something DME applied.
    This happens, you pull/push while lifting up and off it goes.
    I look at Loctite Super Glue Gel drying time is like 10 minutes but good for vertical use, don't run down into other parts.
    You might check their website, has application uses for each type they make:
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_...r-Glue-Gel.htm

The knobs are just a friction fit, if it's loose the knob itself is worn in the bore. If you wrap something around the post it might be too tight and someone unknowingly may do damage to the joystick trying to shove it on. I don't think gluing it on is a good option either.

The client or someone around at the home can likely do this themselves.

I have super glued a lot of my own. The rubber get old and just comes off the steel rod. There is nothing wrong with the joystick. Even then you get like a year before the glue gives up and you do it again. I was given a new rubber one by my DME guy and he super glued it on to. He said he does tons of them that people lost them.
    Art

I wrap a piece of electrical tape around the metal rod, if it's still loose or it becomes loose again I add another wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    I have super glued a lot of my own. The rubber get old and just comes off the steel rod. There is nothing wrong with the joystick. Even then you get like a year before the glue gives up and you do it again. I was given a new rubber one by my DME guy and he super glued it on to. He said he does tons of them that people lost them.
    If I was doing it, myself, I think I'd opt for increasing the diameter of the metal rod -- wrapping it with electrical tape or friction tape and REMOVING it a bit at a time until the knob fits, snuggly, over whatever remains (that way, there is one continuous piece of tape remaining on the rod instead of "pieces" arranged in layers -- that could slide off each other). I just am not fond of "glue", in general, as it makes "ungluing" difficult (not that I can imagine a case for needing to remove the tip, unless it wears poorly).

But, glue may be the easiest for someone else (of unknown skills and physical capabilities) to tackle. If superglue is known to work (I guess it would depend on how sloppy the fit happens to be), then I guess I'd recommend:

• rotating the joystick arm so the stick points to the floor
    • placing a newspaper under it (to catch excess glue dripping off)
    • coat the sides of the rod, liberally, with the glue
    • sliding the tip UPWARD onto the rod (all this to keep any excess glue from running down onto the boot, etc.).

As long as they don't go crazy with the glue (excess), I think this would keep enough of it on the rod and in the tip to adhere the two together. And, minimize the chances for the nasty stuff to get on fingers, clothes, parts, etc.

Then, later (30 minutes?), rotate the joystick arm back to its normal position.

You might want to try using this to make a custom control tip. I used this on my mother's power chair:

https://sugru.com/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

220 Sandpaper.

I put a drop or to inside the rubber then put it on. That way it wont drip down on the rod. To take it off all you have to do is twist it off if you need to. The gell type works best but have used both. Anything would work even contact cement. Just stay away from JB weld.....lol
    Art