Thread: Struggling with Employment

Struggling with Employment

Hey Everyone,

So the last time I posted here, I had started a new job. I loved the job and worked there for just over two years. Long story short, I ended up being let go with three weeks' severance because I wasn't getting along with the ex-owner's daughter. In fact, I have been told that my ex-employer still provides me with a good reference and my manager apologized as she walked me out.

Following that, I worked at a gym for nine months off and on; just two weeks after starting there, I needed surgery that resulted in my being in casts for seven weeks and having a collapsed lung. I returned to work in March and by June, I was back in the hospital. I started having significant issues with muscle tone and was admitted from the ER to see Neurology. It was so bad that I couldn't even stand to go to the bathroom and Dilaudid wasn't helping. At that time, I was put on Baclofen to try and help the situation. My boss was less than understanding and despite the fact I had been up all night and in significant discomfort, she continued to text me throughout the day telling me of all my mistakes from my previous day's work. Keep in mind, I went straight from work to emergency and was not in a great state of mind the day previous. Additionally, I was having accidents so they were concerned it may have been a spinal issue.

Because I had been away, they extended my probation. They had also told me of areas I could improve on and followed up to let me know I was doing well; they were even talking about moving me into an office administration role. Then while at work I answered my phone because my boyfriend's grandpa had passed away and I was trying to get the details of the funeral to let my boss know. She got very upset about this and said she was in a meeting and I shouldn't have taken the phone call. Then, she said they had record of six phone calls I missed. I explained to her that I had my voicemail on and would have promptly returned the calls (which I did do), so they let me go. My boss was a bully; she made fun of what I ate , criticized me to no end, and even after letting me go continued to berate me.

Shortly after this, I started working at another job, but it was was part time and so, when I was offered a full time position with another company, I accepted. Prior to starting there, I did a typing test so they could see how I type differently and I also made them aware I have trouble with writing. They said no problem and two weeks later, they let me go because it was a problem. I am currently going through a complaint process.

I've had a few interviews and all of them have provided me with lots of positive feedback. My EI runs out in April and I'm just really worried I'm like... never going to find a job. It's tough to survive on EI, so I have credit card debit which doesn't exactly help my anxiety.

Can anyone offer some wisdom?

Work for the Federal Government.

When the shutdown ends apply within the US Federal Government. They'll take very good care of you.

Apply at: https://www.usajobs.gov/ for a job in your local area.

You are hired under a special hiring authority and you must indicate in your online resume' inside of usajob.gov that you do have a disability. Your resume' is routed to a different department that bring aboard people with disabilities.

Stop working for these rinky-dink employers.

I've been with NASA for 27 years post injury and they have been very good to me. After the shutdown I will get by back pay.

Any questions? PM me.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 12-22-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Grammar error fixed.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Was thinking of comments to make but after checking your profile, wondered if you would be comfortable telling us if you are paralyzed and what level of function you have. It sounds like your arms and hands may be limited? What is your level of education and work experience, your age?
    Just also wondering if you have applied for SSDI to provide an income while you are job seeking. You probably have heard of it - you would need a certain amount of a work history to qualify. You need to be unemployed when you apply for it.
    I mention this as you appear to have an unsteady work record, but it still would be added if you apply for SSDI. Your relatively short-lived jobs might indicate disability-related issues that SSDI would review. If you did qualify for it, it can continue for a number of months after you secure employment.

As Titanium said the Federal government has a good record of hiring disabled persons - can be a lengthy process but worth it if you get a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Was thinking of comments to make but after checking your profile, wondered if you would be comfortable telling us if you are paralyzed and what level of function you have. It sounds like your arms and hands may be limited? What is your level of education and work experience, your age?
    Just also wondering if you have applied for SSDI to provide an income while you are job seeking. You probably have heard of it - you would need a certain amount of a work history to qualify. You need to be unemployed when you apply for it.
    I mention this as you appear to have an unsteady work record, but it still would be added if you apply for SSDI. Your relatively short-lived jobs might indicate disability-related issues that SSDI would review. If you did qualify for it, it can continue for a number of months after you secure employment.

As Titanium said the Federal government has a good record of hiring disabled persons - can be a lengthy process but worth it if you get a good job.
    Hey folks,

I live I Canada so it's a little different here. I have applied to work for the government here, though.

I have Cerebral Palsy, so my hands are affected to a degree. I am currently pursuing my Office Administration and Business certificates.

Does Canada have financial assistance for someone with a disability such as yours? If that's what EI(?) is, have you looked into an extension? Just a comment, if you have found that a typing test is usually done for entry level jobs in office and business jobs, you might consider a current typing test. It's probably not be a good idea to say you can type if your test is not fast enough or if there are errors. If you have a resume, you might only state "light typing" or just leave it off.
    Do you have good computer skills? I'm not familiar with your current school program, nor am I familiar with what's currently required in a business office - would you consider talking to an instructor about what might be a good fit for you in an office, in light of any limitations you may have.
    Does your country have a vocational rehabilitation program for job/career seekers who have a disability?
    Is your medical condition stable again? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a retired vocational rehabilitation counselor - I can't help it!

Big business, like IBM who I used to work for, usually have diversity hire initiatives aimed at hiring/accommodating disabled workers. So they & gov't are easier to access

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    When the shutdown ends apply within the US Federal Government. They'll take very good care of you.

Apply at: https://www.usajobs.gov/ for a job in your local area.

You are hired under a special hiring authority and you must indicate in your online resume' inside of usajob.gov that you do have a disability. Your resume' is routed to a different department that bring aboard people with disabilities.

Stop working for these rinky-dink employers.

I've been with NASA for 27 years post injury and they have been very good to me. After the shutdown I will get by back pay.

Any questions? PM me.

Ti
    Private employers of all sizes, tend to use managers that keep you under their wing to protect you. Going with government employers where you could actually have policies and managers that protect you from getting poached by the competitive elements, might be the best route. Co-workers and junior managers can be horrible in ways beyond belief.