Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heal a wound over tunneling?

I'm almost 9 months post flap, finally I can live normal life. Trying to heal IV stage pressure sores with dressings or wound vac is a waste of time, money, energy and worthless suffering. Once the bone gets infected, there is no way to heal it unless you get the flap done. Period. And it's not true most flaps fail. Any evidence on that? What does 'failed flap' mean? One that requires immediate reoperation? Pressure sore recurrence? If the sore recurs in the same spot after a few months, then it's not the surgeon's fault but patient's stupidity and negligence.

So here's an update. The doctor reopened the wound. He was sent home with gauze dressing to cover it and instructed not to remove it for 4 days. Needless to say, the gauze became so saturated with blood that the dressing became too wet to stay in place and came off the following day. The wound looked terrible to me. The cavity, that the doctor thought would heal on its own, is completely visible. This is so frustrating.

This feels like he has taken 100 steps backwards. The only good thing is that all of the drainage is no longer staying within the wound. It looks like all of the progress that has been made with the wound vac was for nothing. I'm worried that there may still be Osteomylitits going on. What to do next?

ER, different doctor, lawyer.

I'm so sorry he's going thru this SC. It seems the docs spend more time concerned about what insurance will pay than doing the necessary steps to get it over with.

What really helped me was the Ride Java Cushion. The hole in the center offloaded all the pressure that was on the wound. Forget ROHO, IMO, they are the worst thing a person can use, esp. women. The rubber holds in heat and moisture more trouble. If he's using one. you may want to tie off the nodules under his wound so there is no pressure on the wound.

Yep, ER, different doc.

Baldfatdad, He doesn't want to sue. He just wants to get better. It is hard to find doctors who have had a lot experience with sci. Looking into what other doctors have to say might be a good idea though. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'm so sorry he's going thru this SC. It seems the docs spend more time concerned about what insurance will pay than doing the necessary steps to get it over with.

What really helped me was the Ride Java Cushion. The hole in the center offloaded all the pressure that was on the wound. Forget ROHO, IMO, they are the worst thing a person can use, esp. women. The rubber holds in heat and moisture more trouble. If he's using one. you may want to tie off the nodules under his wound so there is no pressure on the wound.

Yep, ER, different doc.
    The Ride cushion looks interesting. He recently had pressure mapping done and his current cushion is not optimal. He tried a verilite and that was even worse. I will suggest this one to him.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 12-26-2018 at 12:01 AM.

I don't use the custom one. I hear they're much heavier than the regular Java.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I don't use the custom one. I hear they're much heavier than the regular Java.
    Yes, they have some good videos on their website. The Java looks like the ideal one for my friend. I'm no expert though, but I will tell him about it. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Big thanks to everyone else as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    Yes, they have some good videos on their website. The Java looks like the ideal one for my friend. I'm no expert though, but I will tell him about it. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Big thanks to everyone else as well.
    Is he still sitting with this sore?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Is he still sitting with this sore?
    Unfortunately, yes. He is off it most of the time, but has to get up to prepare food and for some chores around the home. He lives alone and has no regular day to day help.