Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spinal cord stimulater

Spinal cord stimulater

Anybody had any luck with a stimulater? I'm getting one in January. Like everybody else, we'll it seem like it anyway, I have neuropathy so bad, it's more disabling then my paralysis.
    They say there better then in the past, but maybe that's just salesmen talk. My hardware is in the way of placing the paddles (leads) at T8 which is supost to be the right spot, for the lower legs. So I'm really thinking twice about the whole process.
    Any ideas?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I had one put in back in 2015. I'm T6 complete, with severe neuropathic pain. The lower paddle they put in did nothing for the pain in my legs/feet, just made my muscles spasm when I turned it up. The upper paddle they put in above my injury level seemed to help some at the time, but I was still in a lot of pain from the surgery. However after I fully recovered, I couldn't really tell any difference even after they adjusted it many times. Not sure if it was a placebo effect at first or what. So I used it for a few years, then eventually stopped charging it. So it's still in my back but I don't use it.

i would obviously rather not have it in hind sight, but I couldn't go the rest of my life knowing there was an option out there that may help with my pain and me not try it, so that's why I did. Like everything else I've tried for my pain though, it just didn't work for me. If you can, it may be worth doing a trial, just so you'll know if it works or not. I had too much scar tissue at my injury level that they couldn't run the trial leads up my back so I had to have the paddles surgically put in just to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I had one put in back in 2015. I'm T6 complete, with severe neuropathic pain. The lower paddle they put in did nothing for the pain in my legs/feet, just made my muscles spasm when I turned it up. The upper paddle they put in above my injury level seemed to help some at the time, but I was still in a lot of pain from the surgery. However after I fully recovered, I couldn't really tell any difference even after they adjusted it many times. Not sure if it was a placebo effect at first or what. So I used it for a few years, then eventually stopped charging it. So it's still in my back but I don't use it.

i would obviously rather not have it in hind sight, but I couldn't go the rest of my life knowing there was an option out there that may help with my pain and me not try it, so that's why I did. Like everything else I've tried for my pain though, it just didn't work for me. If you can, it may be worth doing a trial, just so you'll know if it works or not. I had too much scar tissue at my injury level that they couldn't run the trial leads up my back so I had to have the paddles surgically put in just to try it.
    Thanks for the response. I'm surprised that more people have not tryed them, on this site. I know a lot of us are in (I'm ready to end it all) pain. It's a big step, but not as big as ending it all.

I had one for a year in 1986-87. The stimulator position was revised three times during that year, in an effort to provide me some. I never got any relief, so the thing was removed.

I'm ready to be guillotine, or otherwise euthanized, or just to take a trip to one of the city's bad neighborhoods (they're very proficient at murder.)
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I'm constantly being offered this by the pain doctors ( to be honest I get suspicious as they seem like they are trying to sell it too hard)
    I've yet to meet anyone who has had it done, who seems enthusiastic about it.
    I'm still really curious so look forward to your thoughts and experience and which device you go forward with.

I did have RFA (radio frequency ablation on my spine) and I would have that again.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...s-opinions-etc

There are at least 3 companies offering these devices.
    It seems Doctors must get a sweet deal from one of the companies. I've seen 3 different pain doctors and they've all pushed a different product, always trash talking the competition.
    I always have to ask now, for interest and fun, how many they have had to remove, and which brand they have to remove the most often, obviously it is never the brand they are pushing.

Medtronic
    https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/pati...r-implant.html

St. Jude Abbott
    https://www.sjm.com/en/patients/chro...b-d0dd6899eb3a

Boston Scientific
    http://www.bostonscientific.com/cont...r-systems.html

and this randomly showed up for me
    https://www.pintas.com/our-blog/2014...harm-than-good

Hey, thanks for the response. My pre surgery date is on January 3rd. I'm really going to grill the surgeon about the hole deal. A lot of people get relief for spinal cord stimulaters, but a whole lot don't. Hate the medical sales pitch, gets in the way of real results.

Have you had your surgery yet? A few years ago (I'm a T-5 complete with severe pain in a band around me at the T-5 level), I had a trial spinal cord stimulator put in; it was a total failure. It was a Medtronic unit. Right now I get about 20% (from a constant 7 to a constant 5) for a few hours with dilaudid. I've recently got a medical MJ card; I'm just waiting for suppliers in my area (central Ohio) to open.

So I did the week long spinal cord stimulater test. It was good and bad. On the 3 hour drive home it seemed like it was helping, but was not sure because of all the stuff I took, so I could sit long enough to make the trip. But it just got better and better as time went on.
    By bed time I was out of pain. By morning, even the (compressed, freezing feeling you get in the feet, after you get to pain somewhat under control) was gone. But after getting up the leeds moved and it quit working. Took x rays a few days later, and the rep, put on a different program and it worked for a bit, until I moved around a bunch.
    So even though it quit working, I'm still going ahead with a permanent stimulater . I'm getting paddles instead of leeds, because they don't move around so much. But they have to carve bone out of the way, so it's a much harder surgery.
    I would swear the whole thing off, except it worked so well, when it was working. If I could get this pain under control with drugs, not sure if I'd do the surgery.
    Will write again, when the permanent one goes in, in a couple of months.
    Wishing you all some pain free days

great to see your trial seemed to work, what type of stimulator is it, every year they have a new better one. I had 2 implanted, one with the wires leads never worked and the second one with paddles laminectomy implant never worked either . i had a intrathecal (morphine) pump implanted early this year, this works very well
    cauda equina

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Which devices did you have ? manufacturers ?

Where are you getting pain ?

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    great to see your trial seemed to work, what type of stimulator is it, every year they have a new better one. I had 2 implanted, one with the wires leads never worked and the second one with paddles laminectomy implant never worked either . i had a intrathecal (morphine) pump implanted early this year, this works very well