Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBD Oil for Spasticity

CBD Oil for Spasticity

I've tried searching these forms, but somehow nothing comes up for "CBD", despite its growing popularity. Is there anyone that has tried CBD oil for spasticity? Or is THC the active ingredient that helps people with spasms?

Sincerely,
    Marijuana n00b

I've been taking it for two months and it's been like a miracle - it's cut my spasticity by 40-50%. I take 10 drops in the morning and 10 at night. You have to do your research, though, because it's important to buy a high quality organic oil that's been third-party tested (hemp soaks up pesticides and fungi like a sponge). Also, be sure to get CBD oil and not hemp oil - even though they're both derived from hemp, they are not the same thing. I get my oil from https://www.hempworx.com/hemp-worx-products. A 750mg bottle costs about $100, but to me it's worth every penny. The company recommends taking 20 drops morning and night, but I suspect that's because they can sell more that way - in terms of efficacy, I don't notice any difference between taking 10 and 20 drops. So just experiment and find the lowest effective dose.

I can't tolerate THC, and CBD oil only contains a trace amount - so it's not THC that controls my spasticity. My legs used to routinely jerk and seize up every 20 seconds for hours at a time, and now I can sleep through the night without that happening - they don't do it first thing in the morning, either, which used to be a constant thing. When episodes happen, the jerking is not nearly as pronounced as it used to be, and lasts only half as long.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

That's so great that you found success with it! Were you taking spasticity meds beforehand, and have you been able to wean off of them?

Like many, my employer still doesn't tolerate marijuana usage in its employees. I've read that CBD doesn't test positive in drug tests since it has extremely low levels of THC. Do you know much about that?

I was never on meds for it because the side effects scared me - I just toughed it out. But it had gotten so bad that I knew I had to do something, and a friend recommended the oil.

For people who have to undergo random drug testing, Hempworx (and many other companies) makes a CBD oil that is guaranteed not to contain any THC at all.

Hemp derived CBD will not have THC (by definition hemp has <0.03% THC) and so will not register.

CBD derived from weed will have some level of THC (depends on the strain - some have very low levels of THC and high THC, others vice versa) and other terpenes associated. A reputable dispensary (that grows and processes their own product) will be able to provide you with a gas chromatography report on the percentages and ratios of CBD, etc. There’s some discussion of whether or not decarboxylation (result of heating in processing) is important for CBD functionality.

I have found hemp derived CBD to not be helpful. I work with a local dispensary, use strains with negligible THC levels (1-3%), processed as for RSO/Phoenix Tears, and typically need no more than 2mg of CBD, which translates to a negligee quantity of goop. What I found most helpful about it that it alleviated my spasticity so that I could get stronger in opposing muscles which then made my spasticity less problematic. It’s now something I use only as needed, which is pretty infrequent - maybe once or twice a month.

I think it’s tricky because what will work for folks is really specific to the individual, and you just kind of have to experiment until you find something that will work for you. It really helped me to have access to an ethical dispensary that took whatever science they could find very seriously and were really proactive about making sure I stayed within the parameters that would keep me employable.

I have only been using CBD for 3 wks and i am slooowly ramping up the amount ingested and it is working wonders.
    I am using the real CBD not the hemp derived stuff.

https://aphria.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by air ohs View Post
    I have only been using CBD for 3 wks and i am slooowly ramping up the amount ingested and it is working wonders.
    I am using the real CBD not the hemp derived stuff.
    It's great to hear another positive report.

The friend who recommended CBD oil to me has an aunt with rheumatoid arthritis who couldn't open her hands enough to use a phone, and now she can punch in numbers. It's remarkable stuff. I guess it doesn't work for everybody, but when it does, the relief can be profound.

When I've been sitting for any length of time, my whole body goes stiff from the neck down for several seconds. That hasn't changed, but the rhythmic jerking of my legs is the thing that really bothered me and it's so much better on the oil. Where the jerking used to start at the hip and my whole leg would get pulled up by spasms, now when I have an episode it's usually confined to the foot.

my spasm are lower for sure and im sleeping way better and this product is made from the pot plant not the hemp but is very very low in thc.

At the site i posted the oil im trying is called RIDEAU it has 1.06mg/ml THC and 22.91mg/ml CBD so barely any THC. because i hate being high
    Last edited by air ohs; 12-17-2018 at 04:28 PM.

According to Hempworx, hemp and the cannabis sativa are the same plant. I find the strain issue confusing, but one thing I know is that CBD oil is a totally different animal from hempseed oil, which you can buy at the grocery store and contains low amounts of CBD (because it's made from seeds and stems, not flowers). I copied and pasted this from Hempworx's FAQ page:

Scientifically, industrial Hemp and Marijuana are the exact same plant, with a genus and species name of Cannabis Sativa. They have a drastically various hereditary profile though. Industrial Hemp is constantly a stress of Cannabis sativa, while marijuana can be Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, or Cannabis ruderalis. The significant distinction is how commercial hemp has actually been reproduced compared with a marijuana form of Cannabis sativa. Generally speaking, industrial hemp is really fibrous, with long strong stalks, and hardly has any flowering buds, while a marijuana pressure of Cannabis sativa will be smaller sized, bushier, and filled with blooming buds. However, more recent industrial hemp ranges in the USA are being bred to have more flowers and greater yields of cannabinoids and terpenes, such as our Kentucky hemp we're now utilizing! 99% of the time marijuana has a high amount of THC and just a really low quantity of CBD. Hemp, on the other hand, naturally has a really high quantity of CBD in many circumstances, and only a trace amount of THC. Thankfully, the cannabinoid profile of hemp is ideal for people trying to take advantage of cannabis without the ?high.? Hemp is utilized for making organic supplements, food, fiber, rope, paper, bricks, oil, natural plastic, and so a lot more, whereas cannabis is generally used simply recreationally, spiritually, and medicinally. The term marijuana oil can describe either a marijuana or hemp obtained oil, because marijuana and hemp are 2 various kinds of marijuana. In the USA the legal definition of commercial hemp," per Section 7606 of the Agricultural Appropriations Act of 2014, is "INDUSTRIAL HEMP? The term "industrial hemp" indicates the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of such plant, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis."

Anyway, I'm a happy camper but I might try other brands/formulations. High-quality CBD oil is so expensive that shopping around could really get prohibitive.