Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Colostomy issues, bag bursting

Help Colostomy issues, bag bursting

So I recently got a colostomy and have been having issues with the feces not draining into the bag properly. The poop basically gathers around the opening forming what resembles a large crap meatball. Rather than draining down into the bag, this sticky turd ball continues growing around the opening until it gets underneath the colostomy bag wafer and shit bursts out the sides of my colostomy bag. I am having to change my colostomy bags every day. help

Suggest you get back with the enterostomal therapy nurse (ET or CWOCN) who you worked with (hopefully) prior to and immediately after your surgery to problem shoot this issue. You may need a stoma revision if a change in supplies used cannot resolve this issue.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto2Mini View Post
    So I recently got a colostomy and have been having issues with the feces not draining into the bag properly. The poop basically gathers around the opening forming what resembles a large crap meatball. Rather than draining down into the bag, this sticky turd ball continues growing around the opening until it gets underneath the colostomy bag wafer and shit bursts out the sides of my colostomy bag. I am having to change my colostomy bags every day. help
    I would check the bag throughout the day and push it down from the outside of the bag.
    Plus I use a barrier paste with the wafer. I apply it at the time of the wafer. Never had an incident because of those two things I mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto2Mini View Post
    I use a one piece system. There is no wafer. https://www.coloplast.us/sensura-mio...TBRANDNAMEWEB=

I use the two piece Hollister with wafer and do the same technique as Rainman. Mine was too soft so take one Immodium a day to stiffen it up a bit. I think those with a Colostomy on the right side use the one piece due to it being more liquidy than one on the left descending (sigmoid Loop) side.

The wafer makes a big difference for me and have had one blow out in the early days after the surgery. It takes a few months to get the consistency and techniques down H. If yours is on the left side, I suggest trying a two piece with a wafer. They are much easier to use.

I had two revisions of the opening. The surgeon didn't anchor it right or something. The last time did the trick and haven't had any problems with prolapse for years now. It will get better H. You'll have to start a new hobby with all the extra time you'll be getting back. My wife and I took a ten day cruise. It was nice not having to worry about an accessible john.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 12-17-2018 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I think those with a Colostomy on the right side use the one piece due to it being more liquidy than one on the left descending (sigmoid Loop) side.
    Nope.. Mine is on the left side with firmer stool and it works great. I left the hospital with a two piece and was having the same problems with the stool gathering around the stoma. The one piece has worked for me but everyone is different. It will take a little time to figure out what works for you then you will be good to go.

I have a left side/sigmoud colostomy.
    I have had the delamination issue a couple times, always when the chocolate factory has switched to thick gooey product.
    I don't think the adhesion of the flange is really that strong although I almost never change one until my every 4th shower routine.
    My normal is that I produce shit-balls that are quite discrete; I lift my shirt and fan them into the bottom of the bag; there's no real need for the bag to adhere heroically.
    But on rare occasions, when I pump thick mud, seems that manipulating the stuff to get it top the bottom sometimes will delaminate the appliance circumferentially, probably from the pressure.
    One clear sign: when I change bags, I clean up the flange using my forefinger and toilet paper to run around the periphery of the ostomy and the plastic rim surrounding it.
    When it has delaminated, the finger doesn't ride around on the adhesive part, but wants to go down and there seems to be no end of shit coming out!
    This has only happened ~5 times in six years, and never has there been leakage "to the atmosphere" but it IS a scary thing
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I use a one-piece and the first thing I do once it's on is pinch the bag and pull up some slack. It allows the poop to enter into the bag more easily. Sine switching to this new Hollister bag, I've had this happen rarely and always with the same, thick, gooey stool you mention. The good news is I can always catch it quickly, change it and rarely have a mess.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

You really do have to use paste around the stoma or some other barrier and pay attention to your diet.

This is called pancaking. Have you tried deodorizing lubricant? This is available from your ostomy supplier - many varieties/names. Swish the lubricant around when you snap on a fresh bag and that should help things move along. Thankfully I've never experienced this myself, but was warned about the possibility. Good luck!