Thread: is calcium my enemy now??

is calcium my enemy now??

I take calcium supplements normally and am wondering if they've been the cause of my sediment in my SP. I didn't take them for over a month now but still have had problems-how long before this supplement would be out of my system?

..and I read another post that mentioned calcium leaching out of bones that were unused due to SCI. I'm 18 yrs. post-injury.

can sediment/stones be caused by either of these factors?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

How much calcium are you taking? Are you taking it with vitamin D?

There is little evidence that calcium supplementation helps with osteoporosis in people with SCI/D, including women after menopause.

There is also no good evidence that a reasonable amount of calcium supplementation causes stones in people with SCI/D...just don't overdo it.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    How much calcium are you taking? Are you taking it with vitamin D?

There is little evidence that calcium supplementation helps with osteoporosis in people with SCI/D, including women after menopause.

There is also no good evidence that a reasonable amount of calcium supplementation causes stones in people with SCI/D...just don't overdo it.

(KLD)
    I take 700 mg. of calcium daily, w/1,000 IU of d3. do you think this would cause a problem?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Some o f the information on this page may be helpful to you:
    https://scireproject.com/community/w...load-Final.pdf