Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stair Platform Lift?

Stair Platform Lift?

Hello All!
    can anyone recommend a stair lift that has a platform for wheelchairs?
    Never Give Up!

Here's one company that makes them: https://www.savaria.com/products/wheelchair-lifts/

I have one of their vertical lifts and it's been good to me, and it's been outside for at least 15 years that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Here's one company that makes them: https://www.savaria.com/products/wheelchair-lifts/

I have one of their vertical lifts and it's been good to me, and it's been outside for at least 15 years that I know of.
    Thank you James!
    Never Give Up!

I installed several Butler lifts, as well as Garaventa, years ago, Both are well made.
    The Garaventa can be configured for just about any stair configuration.
    Butler, I think, only works on straight stairs.
    The Butler can be installed into a shallow pit in the floor, so it sits level-easier to get on/off, and minimal trip hazard.
    In case of a stairway, that ends in a narrow space, at the bottom, the drive unit can be put on the other side of the wall.
    Garaventa makes indoor and outdoor units.
    Be sure to check weight limits, (todays power chairs are very heavy) and include any passenger/caregiver who might be on at the same time.
    good luck

If you have a substantial run out at the bottom of the stairs you can get a roll on/rolloff platform lift. It will require probably about a total of about 8 feet minimum, 4 feet for the platform and another 4 feet for rolling off.

I looked into several. i thought the best one may have been lehner from Austria especially if you have tight space at bottom and need to do 90 degree exit. I ended up deciding to go with a vertical lift..I think the brands listed above are ok as well they do get spendy but so do vertical lifts

If you go with a vertical lift you will have to deal with the issue of safety as when the lift is down you will have a vertical drop off the top step that someone could get badly injured if they for whatever reason step off, especially as when used in an interior application. There may be safety devices that would have a gate close across the top when the lift is down.

If this is the only way to get down the stairs, with no alternative, then everybody, including the able-bodied will have to use it as well. This could be a pain in the ass if it is a high-traffic staircase used mostly by the able-bodied.

In my case lift will be enclosed full sized doors and interlock system. It will be different not having stairs but it is just my wife and I. Just couldn't find another place for it and in our case makes entryway more functional.
    Your points are all valid as there is a lot to consider in this type of decision