Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: InfraspinatusTendon tear

If you have a complete tear is it unlikely to heal without surgery.

In my clinical experience, most people have a good outcome with this surgery, given the following:

• Surgery done by an expert surgeon (often the orthopedic surgeon used by your closest professional baseball team).
    • Strict adherence to post-operative activity restrictions.
    • Therapy provided by experienced OTs and PTs once passive (initially) and active (later) exercise of the joint is allowed.

Yes, there is a considerable downtime during the initial healing. If you cannot obtain sufficient assistance at home for this, some have gone to a nursing home for the first 6 weeks, then had a short (1-2 week) inpatient acute rehab stay for the beginning of their active exercise regimen.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm not sure if it heals without surgery. If you're younger and very active and depending what your surgeons skills are, I'd consider it... consider it. If you're inactive or old like me, no way. I've had these tears for over 30 years. I'm not sure if they've gotten worse or not.My shoulders are shot but I've been very, very active for 45 years post. Am now making changes to preserve what I have left. I use my ZX1 more now and added a Power Pod to my handcycle about 5 years ago for those steeper hills and wanting to go 30mph at the flick of a switch and no pedaling if I choose. Also use a sliding board more.

I made a deal with my chiropractor and masseuse twenty years ago for a better deal on costs to see how long we could go before surgery. That was twenty years ago last August. I saw them twice a week for many years and recently went to once a week for my massage and as needed with the chiro.

For myself, KLD is the expert as she's seen this many times. It's a personal decision with hurdles and challenges whichever way you decide to go. Like my recent carpal tunnel surgeries; years ago there was no way I'd have them done because of the risks and rehab times involved. Now, after they got to the point of surgery or losing function and the new techniques, I got them done and was easier than a root canal. Perhaps it's the same with tears in the spinatus.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 12-14-2018 at 01:09 PM.

I'm wondering if there are any new studies or any recent information about the effectiveness of the nonsurgical treatment of rotator cuff tears by injection of the patient's own blood growth factor that's obtained from the patient's blood platelets. Here is the article that describes the treatment in a 2015 issue of New Mobility magazine. It would be very interesting to know if this treatment has been used effectively since then.

http://www.newmobility.com/2015/07/n...oulder-repair/
    There was an SCI targeted study mentioned at the end of that article:
    • Use of Platelet Rich Plasma for the Treatment of Bicipital Tendinopathy in Spinal Cord Injury: A Pilot Study, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23459023
    If it works, it would reduce the post-op health risks from surgical remedy and lengthy convalescence, deconditioning tremendously..

The thing is after the MRI I went to see my doctor and he didn't say much. He walk in the room and said you need a surgery he didn't say I will need therapy and said I can use my arm right away that's all he said and I read that some had the surgery and it didn't help the pain or after the surgery the pain is worst and it takes moths to heal. My shoulder pain is really not that bad but I'd rather have no pain all I do is stay at home hardly go out because of my leg pain that I can hardly take the pain. My shoulder hurts because I think I was using the computer for too long and now I hardly use it.

I would consider seeing a different orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulder surgery, and who will take the time to take your needs into consideration when explaining the surgery, and answer all your questions. Most insurances will pay for a second opinion for elective surgery like this.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have Medical only and there was another orthopedic place that my doctor referred me to and they refuse to see me I don't know why. My city sucks when my dad had to get rid of his bladder stone this one doctor wants my dad to have an incision surgery plus shave some of my dads prostate and he said if my dad don't want to do the surgery and have his prostate shave he's not gonna help my dad. He said we can get a second opinion and in my city there's only 3 urologist and the other 2 work in the same building and one of the doctor was with him and if my dad decline he said don't come to me again you and your whole family. So my dad had to travel to other city and my dad didn't even need to have incision surgery.

Do you mean Medi-Cal (Medicaid in California)? Since your profile doesn't indicate where in the USA you live, nor your age or time since injury, it is hard to help you with referral to resources. Do you not have Medicare in addition to your Medicaid?

(KLD)

I'm in Redding,Ca I only have Medi-cal. I got injured when I just turn 16 and never work before so I can't get Medicare and the reason I'm not working after my injury is because I have a lot of leg pain always burning and stinging sharp tingling pain. I'll talk to my doctor and ask as many questions as I can next month.

Are either of your parents receiving SS benefits (either SSDI, SSI, or SS retirement)? If so, you may be able to qualify for Medicare under their account. Have you explored this?

(KLD)

My dad is on SSI and I don't think I can get Medicare because I've went to social security office and I ask them is I can get Medicare and they said no.