Thread: forgot to take my medicine

forgot to take my medicine

Okay, I only take Oxybutynin 15 Mg ER once a day. Tuesday I forgot to take it and there did not seem to be any difference and it got me to thinking so Today, Wednesday I did not take it and again no difference. Could it be I do not need it anymore could it be my bladder has changed? Is there a downside to stopping? I hate to take a med if I do not need it. Does anyone have the same experience? Has anyone stopped taking med for their bladder permanently?
    I guess tomorrow will be day three on this accidental experiment...

I was not sure where to post this

Why were you put on this medication in the first place? Because of leakage? Because of high pressures on a urodynamics study? If the latter is the case, you cannot distinguish when your bladder has high pressures on your own, only a urodynamics study can do this. I suggest not stopping the medication without a discussion with your urologist.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I will consult him. I was put on it for leakage. Can only remember one urodynamics study and I was already on the medication at that time and do not remember what if anything was said about the study. When I say there was no change without the medication I am talking about the fact that I did not leak even though
    I did not take it. I do know that my RX has not changed since I started taking it so there was no change in RX after the urodynamics study though as I said I do not remember anything said about the study either good or bad. At least in my mind, my med has always been in connection with leakage. I have not leaked in a very long time. Even after being placed on the oxybutynin there were times when I would leak like if I forgot to cath for a long time. I cath before going to bed and do not cath until I get up in the morning which is usually 8 hours other than that I try to remember to cath every 5 to 6 hours. If I drink a lot and remember I cath sooner.

Thanks for replying KDL We get by with a little help from our friends

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Why were you put on this medication in the first place? Because of leakage? Because of high pressures on a urodynamics study? If the latter is the case, you cannot distinguish when your bladder has high pressures on your own, only a urodynamics study can do this. I suggest not stopping the medication without a discussion with your urologist.

(KLD)
    Last edited by djrolling; 12-12-2018 at 11:49 PM.

If you do intermittent cath, you should have urodynamics at least every 2-3 years; more often if you are having problems such as AD (related to your bladder), more frequent UTIs, or increased leakage.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am not a very good patient. Lots of times I only make it every two to three years. My last visit on December 5th they did a renal ultrasound and the scope thing cause it had been a while they did the scope thing because ultrasound found a bladder stone. I have not had a UTI in probably 15 years or more and it has been a couple years since I leaked. I do intermittent cath. Going to have the bladder stone removed in a few months. I had an ultrasound done in 2016 so I guess I grew the stone in two years. About the size of a golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you do intermittent cath, you should have urodynamics at least every 2-3 years; more often if you are having problems such as AD (related to your bladder), more frequent UTIs, or increased leakage.

(KLD)

It is common for oxybutynin to stop working for people. One possibility is that oxy no longer has an effect on your bladder, and happily you never resumed leaking.

Just as you have explained your situation on line with us, you can do the same with your physician. KLD is right and, you really should discuss it all with him/her.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.