Thread: wheelchair accessible hotel/motel in Amsterdam?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

wheelchair accessible hotel/motel in Amsterdam?

hi yall, I'm heading to Amsterdam for 10 days. I've had a really hard time, more-so than usual, finding accessible hotels. Even airbnb, if a place advertises as "accessible" they have "only one step" and very small bathrooms.

I'm frustrated. I need a private room and a private bathroom. The room can be tiny, just a bed, that's fine; but I need a sizeable bathroom. I prefer they have a shower-chair, but if they don't, I can unpack my shower chair.

does anyone live in Amsterdam or anyone been there and have any experience with this stuff? I'd really appreciate some recommendations!!!

thanks for reading

Elarson is a member here who lives in the Netherlands...hopefully she can help you.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by diaspora View Post
    does anyone live in Amsterdam or anyone been there and have any experience with this stuff? I'd really appreciate some recommendations!!!
    There are quite a few hotel with roll in showers, Amsterdam is quite a large city so it depends where you want to stay and your budget:

5* Mariott Hotel and Hotel Waldorf Astoria have accessible bathrooms with roll in shower.

4* DoubleTree by Hilton has 25 accessible double rooms containing grab rails, wheel in showers, shower chairs, wider doors etc. This is right by Amsterdam Centraal Station with a great Skybar.

4* Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Centre has a room with accessible bathroom with roll in shower.

3* Eden Hotel Amsterdam - Hampshire Eden / 4* Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square, Amsterdam (two hotels sharing the same resturant/bar) located just metres from the Rembrandtsquare. Both hotels have an accessible room with wheel/roll in shower.

3* Ibis Amsterdam Centre Hotel has 3 rooms with wheel in showers.

For something cheaper (50 USD per night compared to 200 USD at the Doubletree) try the New West Inn on the western side of Amsterdam, it's about 15mins from the airport and has a nearby tram stop / bus stop with a direct link to the city. They have two accessible rooms (must be booked via phone/email) & I've attched a couple of pictures of the bathroom.

Don't be affraid to give them a call/skype - everyone speak Engrish
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by sarcastrix; 12-11-2018 at 09:47 AM.

I stayed here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/834233?guests=1&adults=1 2 summers ago. It's ground floor (with a small lip down when coming in the door) and in a great location. The owner is awesome and extremely accommodating. Not overly roomy and not a ton of space in the bathroom (which might be the dealbreaker for you), but for all intents and purposes has a roll-in shower... I rented a shower bench while I was there. Compared to comparably priced hotels at the time with comparable location, I'm super-psyched that's what we decided on.

I *should* have some pics somewhere. I'll try to dig them up in the next couple days.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Diaspora, it will be cold but if the canals are not frozen over yet one line has a roll on Canal boat. I think it was Blue cruises. Nice way to see the site from below and all the decorated houseboats.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.