Thread: Bladder neck closure - still leaking

Bladder neck closure - still leaking

Hi SCI,

Im a Spina bifida MMC from India. Been recently operated(2 months ago) for Augmentation cystoplasty with mitrofanoff procedure and bladder neck closure.
    I was operated on 4th october, and on 20th october my penis leaked urine(I had a spasm or some sorta pain)
    Any idea why would it be so? also the color of the discharge from my penis does not match the urine, the discharge is more of fluorescent/green and not yellow like the urine.
    But during cystogram the constrast material did leak out of the penis in force, which means a pathway exists b/w d bladder and urethra, so what's the fluorescent color discharge?
    Is it an infection?
    Last edited by ValanM; 12-08-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Have you had the discharge analysed and cultured? How much discharge are we talking about? Why did you have a bladder neck closure? Previous sphincterotomy?

Unfortunately, there is a pretty high rate of urethral fistula development after bladder neck closure. You need to further investigate this with your surgeon.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It was analyzed before it turning to green when it was yellow, it was in the month of October.

The discharge would be around 8 ml per day, and flows out during pressure.

My sphincter muscle doesn't work/contract, hence it was closed as it could lead to leakage

If it's a fistula how is it treated? and do they reoccur?
    Last edited by ValanM; 12-10-2018 at 03:08 AM.

Fistula like this can be very difficult to treat; surgery in that area is not easy. What does your surgeon say?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My surgeon says, there are chances for it to heal naturally, its already 7 weeks, not sure if it has to heal how long would it be. If it doesn't heal then further investigations would have to be done, perhaps a surgery.

Any idea why will color of the discharge not always be as that of the urine? its often green/fluorescent?

If you have a fistula, what you are seeing as discharge may be a combination of pus and urine. Again, did you have the discharge cultured recently?

(KLD)

Oh okay, also with that being told, I would like to add that im getting quite a few pus boils in the surrounding area, on my thighs, one after the other. No, I have not done a culture lately, perhaps i will do one soon.

The problem with getting the culture is the little amount of discharge, and having it collected in a sterile container.

My surgeon did mention my urine will have pus for some time post surgery. By any means is this life threatening?