Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking vitamin D

Taking vitamin D

I have been a c-7 quad for 38yrs. My current doctor did blood work and said i really need to take heavy doses of vitamin D. I have read that vitamin D can cause kidney stones. So i am worry if i take the vitamin it might give me bladder stone. 25 to 30 years ago i had a problem with bladder stones but it stopped. Not sure why.
    Should i take the vitamin or ask more questions?

Get some sunshine and eat foods that give vitamin D. 48 years post here where where we get sun only a couple months each summer and all is well.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

My Dr. has me taking 2000 IU daily. Been doing it for 3 years. No problems so far. I have a past history of bladder and kidney stones.

Have you had any stones since taking the vitamin D?

Eat vitamin d rich foods like salmon if you are concerned about kidney stones from supplements

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-19-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Eat vitamin d rich foods like salmon if you are concerned about kidney stones from supplements

pbr
    Thanks, sounds like a good idea.

By heavy doses did your doctor mean prescription strength like 50,000 IU every other day for 6 months? That is not an unusual occurrence in fulltime wheelers of whatever cause. I needed that about 6 years in (1998) and then went down to an OTC of 2,000 IU daily split into 2 doses. Most PCP today suggest that amount in the colder states year round even for ABs.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

The older you get, the less vitamin D your body makes from the sun. The range your vitamin D should be in is 33-100. I take 1000 IU a day.

Thanks for all the replies. The link from funklab was interesting.