Thread: Upper Abdominal Pain for 3 weeks. Gastritis? Advice please.

Exclamation Upper Abdominal Pain for 3 weeks. Gastritis? Advice please.

Hi,

I'm c5/6 complete, 19 years post needing some help or advice please.

I've been suffering with pain and bloating at the top of my stomach since the early hours of June 3rd that hasn't gone away.

My wife and I held a party for our daughter the afternoon before and didn't eat much as it was busy. After the party we ordered a chinese and I overate quite a bit.
    I was woken up about 2am with severe cramps so I had a tramadol and a heat pad to try settle it down with no luck. My wife had no symptoms at all.

5th June:I phoned the doctor and he prescribed me Buscopan that didn't help.
    12th June I phoned the doctor again with the same symptoms and he said I most likely had Gastritis. He prescribed me Zantac. The prescription wasn't ready so I had to buy some over the counter 75mg was the max strength.
    16th June: Prescription still wasn't ready after 4 days so phoned again and got Zantac 300mg, Nexium 40mg, Codeine, Peppermint tablets.
    17th June: My pain eased and I didn't need the Codeine.
    19th June: Pain back again for no reason.
    Today: Still in pain.

Other Information: I open my bowels on a Monday, Wedesday and Friday but the stool is alot softer than usual. No blood.
    After every meal I bloat alot which is uncomfortable and if I touch it I get a short burst of AD sweats across my shoulders.

I've had puss come from my SP site the last 2 months. Frst was a medium growth of Staph A treated with Oxytetracycline, the second was heavy growth of Candida treated with thrush medication. Evn though my site is cleaned daily with Prontosan.

Any advice? I am getting worried now and the pain is debilitating.

Thanks
    C5-6 Complete.

Live each day as if it was your last.

You need to be examined by a physician. Gastritis is not a diagnosis that should be made on the phone. Gastritis is common in those who drink an excessive amount of alcohol. Does this apply to you? There is not an increased risk factor for gastritis due to SCI/D.

I would want to rule out gall bladder inflammation and stones (Cholecystitis). This is much more common in those with mid-thoracic and above SCI/D than in the general population. Your symptoms appearing after a meal, especially one high in fat, with accompanying AD would point in that direction as an important rule-out. A gall bladder ultrasound can be easily used to aid in this diagnosis.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I would see your primary care doctor tomorrow, and consider going to the Emergency Room.

If you start to have a fever go immediately to the Emergency Room.

This is not something you diagnose and treat over the phone. Because of your injury you can't trust your symptoms at all. You need a doctor to examine you carefully and you need imaging - probably a CT scan of your abdomen.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    I would see your primary care doctor tomorrow, and consider going to the Emergency Room.

If you start to have a fever go immediately to the Emergency Room.

This is not something you diagnose and treat over the phone. Because of your injury you can't trust your symptoms at all. You need a doctor to examine you carefully and you need imaging - probably a CT scan of your abdomen.
    I agree, and you need bloodwork done. The pus and debilitating pain (with transient AD) are very concerning.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 06-23-2018 at 02:48 AM.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Thanks for the reply

Sorry I didn't make it clear but the doctor has been out twice to my home after the last 2 phone calls, although they are not qualified in SCI.

I don't drink or smoke at all. I've had no fever at all, but one time I was nauseous for 10 minutes but I think it had something to do with the warm weather. I wasn't sick, just wretching alot. It could also be due to fact that I hadn't been out of bed much because of the pain. Although I'm just guessing.

Is there anything food wise I'm best eating and avoiding?

I'll go to the ER on Monday as my local hospital isn't that great. I will have a much better chance of getting transferred to my SCI hospital as I can't just directly go to it.
    C5-6 Complete.

Live each day as if it was your last.

Pay attention to how your body reacts after eating - as KLD says, with gallbladder disease a fatty meal will usually cause an increase in symptoms. Experiment with small amounts of food. Once you get a diagnosis from the doctor, you'll have a better idea of how to manage your diet.

Something occurred to me just now. Many years ago, I developed a protein allergy to eggs and became unable to digest them - my abdomen, upper and lower, became distended and painful and full of gas that smelled like sulfur. I was not nauseous, but miserable from bloating. The allergy was discovered through blood tests in the hospital (high eosinophil count), followed by skin tests. So if you're eating a great deal of a specific food, it might not be a bad idea to ask the doctor about the possibility of allergy.

A thorough gastrointestinal workup, with blood and other lab tests, will be important. Best wishes, hope you find out what's causing this very soon.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Any update hydr0skunk?

Quote Originally Posted by C5QuadGuy View Post
    Any update hydr0skunk?
    Hasn't visited our site since June 2018, so unlikely to respond.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.