Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butt implant to prevent pressure sores

Butt implant to prevent pressure sores

I got a baclofen pump approximately 13 years ago and prior to getting my pump I rarely ever got any pressure sores because I had some muscle tone between my bones and skin. The baclofen pump took my spasms away which in turn took my muscle tone away. Now that the muscle tone is gone I get pressure sores on a regular basis. :-(

Has anyone here ever heard of anybody getting a implant (like a breast implant) in their butt to have some padding between the bone and skin? It would not have to be a lot just something to replace the lost muscle tone.

I mentioned this to my doctor and he laughed at first but after thinking about it thought it was a good idea also, just wondered if anybody else ever thought about that and tried it.

Other threads have be done on this topic, but I do not recall anyone having it done. On the other hand, a friend of my wife is married to a physician who does cosmetic surgery. He says the biggest part of his practice is pumping silicone into women's butts to make them more shapely in their jeans.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I asked this idea on a foot I always have trouble with.

It would just create more pressure if you think about it - wouldn't solve anything and there would still be the risk for infection. Ever tried electrical stimulation or FES therapy on the area?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    It would just create more pressure if you think about it - wouldn't solve anything and there would still be the risk for infection. Ever tried electrical stimulation or FES therapy on the area?
    It may cause some pressure, but the pressure would be spread out not just focused where the bone is putting the pressure.

I have not tried or even heard of using FES on pressure areas.

I discussed this with my plastic surgeon when I had a flap surgery a couple years ago, he said the implant materials are stiffer than muscle but softer than bone and would cause more pressure issues as lynnifer said. He also thought it would decrease blood flow to the surrounding tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by dbassman View Post
    mentioned this to my doctor and he laughed
    maybe becuase your name is Assman?

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    maybe becuase your name is Assman?
    rotflmAo!

thats what i was told also, that it would cause more problems than help...

Maybe cut back the baclofen? Who knows. You may still have some spasticity that could help as long as you're all healed up when your doc starts cutting the dosage. Just a thought.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Maybe cut back the baclofen? Who knows. You may still have some spasticity that could help as long as you're all healed up when your doc starts cutting the dosage. Just a thought.
    I've tried that, unfortunately my body has gotten so used to the baclofen that lowering the dosage causes my whole body to spasm, except for where I need it, which is my legs. I originally had it put in because I've had lower back pain since about two years after I broke my neck in November 1978. The doctor thought the baclofen would relieve back spasms which in turn would help the back pain, unfortunately it did not help the back pain at all and I still have spasms in my lower back. :-(

If I could turn it off or take it out and have my spasms return to the way they were prior to the pump, I would have done that a long time ago, unfortunately it only took a couple months for my body to get hooked on the baclofen.