Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used equipment

Yeah, I have a 20-year-old Permobil parked in my living room for over a year because it needs a tire and a battery. The upholstery is beat up but it ran, or used to. Called around numerous organizations, nobody wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Liability is the key word in this thread. No one with good intent wants to help someone and the receiver of the generosity gets injured (= donor might get sued) due to reliability, lack of support, or lack of ability. Power chair users need assessment as to their ability to operate and chair needs adapting to the individual in many cases for safe operation.
    You can take some steps to reduce your exposure to lawsuits. And, many non-profits don't have any assets to make them "juicy targets" (think: ambulance chasers).

The bigger problem, IME, has been that it takes a fair bit of skill and dexterity to repair/refurbish a donated/used powerchair (or scooter). And, a fair bit of hand-holding for a first time user of said device. Things that you might consider as second nature (don't travel across an incline but, rather, up/down it) would be lessons hard learned by a novice. The sorts of problems you encounter and instinctively resolve (motor clutches not engaged) could leave a novice stumped.

[I refurbed a scooter for a woman some time ago. Batteries went flat on her on one of her outings. Her colleagues PUSHED her home. But, she neglected to tell them to disengage the clutch so they felt like they were pushing a dead weight -- Ooops!]

Who does the recipient call when they have questions? Problems? Need repairs/parts? Do you keep someone standing by to field these questions and provide these services in perpetuity? (and for free??)

Even folks who might be electrically/mechanically inclined to repair/refurbish might not be savvy on the other issues related to chair use.

[I discarded a Quickie Model mumblemumble some years ago because I didn't have a programmer and it was set "too fast": "Someone will get killed driving that thing!"]

Manufacturers/dealers aren't motivated to repair, supply parts or support for older and some cases near new chairs. Insurance usually will replace chair in 5 years and (believe it or not) manufacturers design them to last 5 years. After 5 yrs, parts aren't available new and/or are cost prohibitive. Price check new tires for an example. Batteries: DIY if you can for $400, from Permobil can cost as much as $1500 not including labor.
    The batteries were shot in the chair I used for my "self-driving" prototype. No way in hell I'm going to shell out that sort of money just to test/demonstrate a concept! So, I removed the (dead) batteries and replaced them with a pair of power supplies pulled from a large (computer) server. As a result, chair has a really long power cord trailing behind it when I demonstrate it. But, folks can easily imagine a power cord being replaced by batteries!

We just delivered an Invacare chair to a disadvantaged client. Who knows what they'll do when they have a problem with it! OTOH, should we just discard it even with useful life remaining?

I have a Permobil m300 HD to fix Monday. But, I've been told to "fix it or toss it" as they don't have room to store it for me to tinker with as I find time to do so. Already have a client lined up to receive it so the "toss it" option would be really sinful!

Tech info is OEM proprietary which makes getting repair info near impossible. Complex electronics have no standardized diagnostics like automobiles (OBDII) so scanners/programmers are brand and model specific. Also, OEM doesn't want to sell them unless you are authorized, plus they are expensive. This has been my biggest obstacle in repairing my chairs.
    I suspect many vendors just play the "isolate by swapping components" game. Of course, THEY have spares available (or COULD have). Should you keep a spare chair just to use to diagnose your "real" chair?

The manufacturer has no real incentive to make it easier for the end user to diagnose problems. That just takes business away from their distributors and makes it harder for those to stay in business. Imagine if the only way to purchase was direct from the factory. Likewise, any "substantial" service required you to ship the chair to them...

Quote Originally Posted by Spitzbub View Post
    Yeah, I have a 20-year-old Permobil parked in my living room for over a year because it needs a tire and a battery. The upholstery is beat up but it ran, or used to. Called around numerous organizations, nobody wants it.
    We've even found that "tinkerers/hobbyists" have no interest in them as "motorized platforms" (e.g., local robotics clubs). Once they've acquired one or two, their "demand" is saturated.

It tuned out to be complicated to donate my late friend's fairly new leg prosthetics. It's illegal to donate them in the US. A couple of prosthetic companies have set up infrastructure to donate it abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    It tuned out to be complicated to donate my late friend's fairly new leg prosthetics. It's illegal to donate them in the US. A couple of prosthetic companies have set up infrastructure to donate it abroad.
    We ship them to groups in Latin America that can then fit them to local clients. This may not be ideal for those folks -- but it is often a considerably better result than they would otherwise have!

I have a friend who is a prosthetist and is from Haiti. Since the earthquake there he has traveled to Haiti every few months to help with prosthetic limb construction for the many amputees still without good prosthetics there. If you want to PM me your contact information I can pass it on to him and he can let you know if he can use your used prosthetic limbs.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.