Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Las Vegas catheters??

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I expected this, since you are antagonistic toward everything I post on these forums. It is tiresome.

    (KLD)
    To the contrary, I am not antagonistic toward everything you post. And I hope no one takes this comment as being antagonistic. I have learned a great deal from you and appreciate many of your posts regarding medical issues related to spinal cord injury. That said, it is a comment like you made above that always strikes me as being abrasive. Maybe that is just your way, and in writing your manner may be misinterpreted. Written communication is difficult at best and there is a lot of room for the intent of a comment to be misread. I'm sorry if you feel I malign you.
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-05-2018 at 03:40 PM.

  2. #12
    I agree with gjnl comments. Someone was asking for help and not a lecture.

  3. #13
    Ya'll are some sensitive little guys.

    KLD promptly offered solid, actionable solutions (four of them) that could solve the OPs problem. She then recommended a reasonable course of action to prevent this from happening again. Was it the exclamation point or the capital letters that has all y'all so butt hurt?

    Then after KLD gave the OP multiple solutions gjnl, smashms, and hugheswf all chimed in with no productive input to the thread, offering not even the tiniest hint of a solution to the OP's dilemma (which I imagine is rather urgent) and instead whining about an AB telling a cripple to plan ahead.

    I truly feel bad for y'all. How do you navigate life with such delicate sensitivities?

    Maybe I just have a thick skin so I'm able to deal with things, but I honestly don't see the "thing" y'all have your panties in a wad about. I mean look at smashms post. He (assuming you're a guy here, I hope you're not emotionally scarred for life if you're a woman and I assumed the wrong gender based on your avatar) criticizes KLD suggesting people bring extra supplies, then goes on to explain how he brings extra supplies and should probably bring more...

    Sorry, I realize I'm on a bit of a rant. Everyone reacts differently to SCI. Perhaps for me, having tubes shoved up my junk and lying in my own feces for a few weeks, lying awake and naked on a surgical table with a dozen people looking on and the humiliating experience of needing my parents to wipe my ass at age 25 made me unable to appreciate subtle biases or insults (honestly have no idea what you guys think is wrong with KLD's comment) from ABs because I've got bigger things to worry about and no ability to be embarrassed or insulted any longer. Maybe others of you who have (presumably) gone through similar humiliating experiences ended up even more sensitive to them rather than desensitized like I did. Or maybe I'm just starting to get old and this new politically correct generation has to find something pejorative or bigoted in everything that is said.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Ya'll are some sensitive little guys.

    KLD promptly offered solid, actionable solutions (four of them) that could solve the OPs problem. She then recommended a reasonable course of action to prevent this from happening again. Was it the exclamation point or the capital letters that has all y'all so butt hurt?

    Then after KLD gave the OP multiple solutions gjnl, smashms, and hugheswf all chimed in with no productive input to the thread, offering not even the tiniest hint of a solution to the OP's dilemma (which I imagine is rather urgent) and instead whining about an AB telling a cripple to plan ahead.

    I truly feel bad for y'all. How do you navigate life with such delicate sensitivities?

    Maybe I just have a thick skin so I'm able to deal with things, but I honestly don't see the "thing" y'all have your panties in a wad about. I mean look at smashms post. He (assuming you're a guy here, I hope you're not emotionally scarred for life if you're a woman and I assumed the wrong gender based on your avatar) criticizes KLD suggesting people bring extra supplies, then goes on to explain how he brings extra supplies and should probably bring more...

    Sorry, I realize I'm on a bit of a rant. Everyone reacts differently to SCI. Perhaps for me, having tubes shoved up my junk and lying in my own feces for a few weeks, lying awake and naked on a surgical table with a dozen people looking on and the humiliating experience of needing my parents to wipe my ass at age 25 made me unable to appreciate subtle biases or insults (honestly have no idea what you guys think is wrong with KLD's comment) from ABs because I've got bigger things to worry about and no ability to be embarrassed or insulted any longer. Maybe others of you who have (presumably) gone through similar humiliating experiences ended up even more sensitive to them rather than desensitized like I did. Or maybe I'm just starting to get old and this new politically correct generation has to find something pejorative or bigoted in everything that is said.
    Please read my post #3!

    Actually my suggestion is very actionable and "productive input,", just in case a prescription is needed to buy urinary catheters in NV and/or these medical supply stores mentioned don't have the original poster's catheters or size in stock. There are many younger spinal cord injured members who never have had to reuse catheters and may not know that you can reuse them or how to reuse them.

    To your point about being thin skinned and having delicate sensitivities, frankly, we have to deal with a lot of pejoratives and obstacles in our daily lives...we don't want to come here and deal with that kind of attitude too.

    Here is another suggestion that has saved me a couple of times while traveling. I make copies of my ID, my credit cards, my prescriptions from my California doctor (meds and supplies) and put them in a plastic zipper lock bag, along with about $500.00 in cash and slip the very flat bag between my cushion cover and the bottom of my cushion. This stash has been invaluable a couple of times when on the road.
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-05-2018 at 11:26 PM.

  5. #15
    Because straight catheters can be reused, they are better for traveling. You only need one and you can keep it in your pocket so there is no risk of lost baggage or running out.

    My point is that when you are looking around in an unfamiliar place and you need to pay cash, you can buy just one and reuse it. Lot less expensive and shouldn't be a problem for a short while.

    Not a lecture. Just providing reasonable options.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Because straight catheters can be reused, they are better for traveling. You only need one and you can keep it in your pocket so there is no risk of lost baggage or running out.

    My point is that when you are looking around in an unfamiliar place and you need to pay cash, you can buy just one and reuse it. Lot less expensive and shouldn't be a problem for a short while.

    Not a lecture. Just providing reasonable options.
    I used to wash and reuse my catheters, I washed with soap and water, put them in clean envelopes to dry (still seems weird, but that's how they taught me in rehab). I guess I didn't necessarily need to let them dry, but how do you manage to clean one cath between each use every time and store it between uses without it getting dirty when you're on the road?

    If this is something that's realistic for me to do, I'm all for it, because right now at work I carry extras on me and in my car in case I forget to refill my main cath bag. I wouldn't do it all the time, but if I realize I'm down to my last one and I don't have to worry about it I'll be much more comfortable leaving the extras at home (or at least not having to run back out to my car). Right now I generally carry up to 15 caths in my main supply (mostly so I only have to refill it every week or so), another four in an extra bag on my wheelchair and another dozen or so in my car, which seems excessive seeing as how I'm only working 10 or 12 hours at a time and might cath 4 times max at work, and usually only 2 times. I'm all for minimalism and if you can get me from lugging around 30 caths everywhere I go, down to 3 or 4 you'll be my new hero.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I used to wash and reuse my catheters, I washed with soap and water, put them in clean envelopes to dry (still seems weird, but that's how they taught me in rehab). I guess I didn't necessarily need to let them dry, but how do you manage to clean one cath between each use every time and store it between uses without it getting dirty when you're on the road?
    Instead of an envelop, you can use a paper towel folded into an envelop. It's more absorbent so they will dry out better. Plus you can fold them as compactly as necessary. Question is, how do you dry the inside of the catheter? Really can't do that on the road. Alternatively, you could carry 4 paper towel envelops each with it's own catheter inside. You can roll the catheters into a small circle so they fit easily inside the paper towel and in your pocket. I have special jeans made for us in wheelchairs that have deep pockets with the opening on top of the thigh (rather than along the side of the hip) for easier access. They also have extra pockets along the calf for extra storage. Carrying 4 should not be a problem.

    If your concern is only about logistics, then maybe just discard after each use.

    If your concern is about logistics and cost, then you can reuse them by washing them as good as you can on the road then give them an extra rinse and store in a Hibiclens solution overnight to clean the inside. I'm on the fence if it's better or dry them afterward to leave the Hibiclens on the inside for the next day's use.

    Presently, I am using hydrophilic catheters. Because they pass more easily and are more convenient. When on the road, I put one or two down my boot and up my pant sleeve. I like the Coloplast ones in the green package. They are much more compact and rigid than the others so they fit better and stay in place better inside your pant sleeve. Plus they don't make noise like the others. You can easily fit two in each pant sleeve, which lets you carry a total of 4 without using pockets. You want boots for this. The extra height up to the ankle holds the catheters in place. Shoes won't work.

    One extra straight catheter always on hand is a good idea in case of emergency. You don't have to carry lube. Water will do in place of lube in an emergency as long as it's a plastic catheter and not the soft rubber ones.
    Last edited by August West; 12-05-2018 at 11:13 PM.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Instead of an envelop, you can use a paper towel folded into an envelop
    So you just carry soap around and clean in the bathroom sink and wrap it with whatever papertowels they have on hand?

    I don't consider myself a very shy person, but I think I'd be hesitant to wash a pissy catheter out in a public restroom in front of everyone. Still if you gotta do it, you gotta do it I guess.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So you just carry soap around and clean in the bathroom sink and wrap it with whatever papertowels they have on hand?

    I don't consider myself a very shy person, but I think I'd be hesitant to wash a pissy catheter out in a public restroom in front of everyone. Still if you gotta do it, you gotta do it I guess.
    The original poster is staying at a hotel in Las Vegas and running short of catheter supplies. He is not having to wash catheters in an emergency situation in a pubic restroom. And yes, absolutely yes...you gotta do what you gotta do, when stuff happens. It is a short term fix. The trick about surviving with a spinal cord injury is being inventive and resourceful. I give all of us credit for having these qualities.

    If this poster, "funklab" has me on "ignore," maybe that is why he didn't see my Post #3. You shouldn't post in ignorance if you aren't seeing and unwilling to see the whole picture.
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-06-2018 at 12:12 AM.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    So you just carry soap around and clean in the bathroom sink and wrap it with whatever papertowels they have on hand?

    I don't consider myself a very shy person, but I think I'd be hesitant to wash a pissy catheter out in a public restroom in front of everyone. Still if you gotta do it, you gotta do it I guess.
    I get it. I really don't want to be washing pissy catheters in public. Sometimes, there are private bathrooms, so you could wash in private. Or you could carry a plastic bag with a little Hibiclens and store used catheters in them and wash them later. Or you could discard them.

    Or you could do what I do and carry hydrophilics inside pant sleeves and discard them.

    Your objective, as I read your post, was to reduce the number of catheters you carry to 4. I hope this helps to meet that objective.
    Last edited by August West; 12-06-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Las Vegas
    By james15985 in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-16-2014, 08:08 PM
  2. nfr vegas
    By vjls in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 04:05 PM
  3. vegas
    By Sh0rty in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM
  4. need suggestions on Vegas hotels (yes, another Vegas thread)
    By -scott- in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 11:17 AM
  5. VEGAS ( DA )
    By MADPRODUCER in forum Life
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •