Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas catheters??

Las Vegas catheters??

I'm in Las Vegas and it looks like I packed short on catheters. Can anyone recommend somewhere I could get some more reasonably priced. Preferably speedi cath.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

Amazon will deliver to your hotel next day if you pay for expedited shipping.

Here are some additional local stores to check, but not sure if Nevada is a state that requires a prescription for catheters. You would need to call them:

Everything Medical
    Address: 1811 W Charleston Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89102, Phone: (702) 366-1111, Hours: Closes 6PM

Las Vegas Medical Store
    4527 W. Sahara Ave., Las Vegas, NV 89102, phone 702-815-1499, Hours: closes 5PM

Pro Comfort Medical
    106 South Jones Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV 89107, Phone: 702-629-6818

This is why you should ALWAYS overpack with urologic supplies when traveling!

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-04-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz1989 View Post
    I'm in Las Vegas and it looks like I packed short on catheters. Can anyone recommend somewhere I could get some more reasonably priced. Preferably speedi cath.
    If you are between a rock and a hard spot, and can't get catheters, you could always reuse catheters like we did years ago. Sure it isn't ideal, but you gotta to do what you gotta do. The hydrophilic coating probably won't work well after you wash them, so you will need to get to a drug store and buy a catheter lubricant.

When I used red rubber catheters, they were washed in hot water with an antibacterial soap, rinsed and placed on clean paper toweling to dry. If you have to have the catheters with, you can pop the paper towel wrapped catheters into a plastic zipper lock bag. Then remember to take along your lubricant.

Good luck!

I have used everything medical before they are near they strip and walk in to purchase. Sorry I don't use catheters any more I don't have a bladder.
    ^^(A)^^

I reuse spedicaths all the time. Just rinse with water inside and out right after use and add a bit of water to the package to cover the whole catheter, and store in an upright position to keep the water from draining. I get about 4-5 uses per catheter without any extra lube.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

This is why you should ALWAYS overpack with urologic supplies when traveling!

(KLD)
    Sorry, but to me this is such a patronizing response to any of us in the disability community, it makes me want to scream.

We all do what we need to do, and try to care for ourselves as best we can, and try to plan ahead as best we can, but life happens, and this response is just so pejorative, it sets my teeth on edge.

I know I will get trashed on for my comment, but I just can't help but make this point. How often has an AB (able bodied person) forgotten to pack appropriately and for every contingency. No lecture is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Sorry, but to me this is such a patronizing response to any of us in the disability community, it makes me want to scream.

We all do what we need to do, and try to care for ourselves as best we can, and try to plan ahead as best we can, but life happens, and this response is just so pejorative, it sets my teeth on edge.

I know I will get trashed on for my comment, but I just can't help but make this point. How often has an AB (able bodied person) forgotten to pack appropriately and for every contingency. No lecture is needed.
    I expected this, since you are antagonistic toward everything I post on these forums. It is tiresome.

I am not just a AB person, but a long term caregiver for a person with an SCI/D who traveled with her for many years, and we always make a list, checked, and double checked it, and checked it again when packing supplies. Yes, we had a few early trips where we mis-calculated, but once we started using a checklist (generated on the computer) and used this when packing, we didn't have this problem again. We always planned for at least 2 extra days of meds/supplies as well, since you never know when travel disruptions might strand you.

I would expect you would know that everything you do as a person with a disability takes extra planning, back-up plans, and contingencies beyond what an AB person needs to do.

I consider my remarks as helping out others to plan who may not have had as much experience traveling with a severe disability...not patronization, but you will make it out that way no matter what I say.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    SCI-Nurse doesn't need any support from me and don't misinterpret my response as such.
    Carrying excess supplies is good advice. Down this way, the items I/us require cannot be found on every street corner; sure I could make do with what I could find that might substitute but I would rather not.
    So, it is not a difficult process, you have to be prepared as well as possible
    I am MOH and it is expected that our catheters be reused a number of times.
    Rinsing them through and washing in clean water then put into my carry container works well enough. When I get to a source of hot water the process is repeated.

Lol, I feel for you, KLD, using a shared SCI nurse account I guess you can’t really put anyone on the ignore list. It’s quite a convenient feature. Great advice though.

Like you and slow runner said carrying extras is a good idea. When I fly out for a few days I try to always have enough supplies to get me through the whole trip both on my wheelchair and in the bag I check in case something happens to one or the other.

Sorry wheelz, I’m actually gonna be in Vegas next week. If only our trips had overlapped I could have brought some extra for you. Hopefully you got it sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I expected this, since you are antagonistic toward everything I post on these forums. It is tiresome.

I am not just a AB person, but a long term caregiver for a person with an SCI/D who traveled with her for many years, and we always make a list, checked, and double checked it, and checked it again when packing supplies. Yes, we had a few early trips where we mis-calculated, but once we started using a checklist (generated on the computer) and used this when packing, we didn't have this problem again. We always planned for at least 2 extra days of meds/supplies as well, since you never know when travel disruptions might strand you.

I would expect you would know that everything you do as a person with a disability takes extra planning, back-up plans, and contingencies beyond what an AB person needs to do.

I consider my remarks as helping out others to plan who may not have had as much experience traveling with a severe disability...not patronization, but you will make it out that way no matter what I say.

(KLD)
    Kld i too thought your comment was not necessary, most of us do plan and bring extra 2 days with them however there are times when even with all the planning things still go wrong and we still need even more extra. i know for me i plan and bring an extra 2 weeks of supplies for y ostomy. as i cannot predict when a leak will happen.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009