Thread: To those with sphincterotomy.

To those with sphincterotomy.

Hello. Its been about 5 years now that I got the surgery and now I have been getting a uti every 6 to 8 weeks. I don't know what I have been doing wrong to get these infections.
    Can you guys who had a sphincterotomy tell me how you go about your day and what you do to avoid a uti.
    I change my condom catheter often and I drink a lot of water. I really don't know what to do to break this cycle.

Thanks...??..

how much are you voiding and more importantly how much is left after (residuals)

What is your residual?
    When did you last have urodynamics studies done?
    Have you been screened for bladder, ureter, or kidney stones?
    Have you been evaluated for prostatitis?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I fill my leg bag about every 3 to 4 hours and my residual is about 250. Its been years my urodynamics. Had an echo on my kidneys recently and all was good but said that my bladder had thick walls. im waiting for a systo now. probably will be evaluated for prostatitis at the same time.
    Now im on 100 mg of Macrobid dayli.
    Thanks for responding...

Your thick bladder walls indicate that you are voiding with high pressures. You need urodynamics every 1-2 years. You high pressures and high residuals are most likely to the cause of your frequent UTIs.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I was sure that people with a sphincterotomy would of chimed in for tips on how not to get utis and if they had the procedure redone or anything else.