Thread: ever heard of BOOSTING (AD) in Paralympics??

ever heard of BOOSTING (AD) in Paralympics??

first, a quick side note, there's so many darn sub-forums it's confusing, so sorry if this is the wrong place to post....

... I learned today about "BOOSTING" in the paralympics. Apparently it's used by athletes with SCI who purposefully INDUCE Autonomic Dysreflexia to experience performance gains.

My first question is WHAT THE EFF??? I have an SCI and AD is the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life. AD gives me horrible high-blood pressure and the headaches along with that, terrible spasms, goosebumps, and basically my whole body begins to malfunction. So how on earth could this be used to GAIN in performance? and even if it COULD why would anyone put themselves through all the negative feelings---and, even, the possibility of stroke and death!?

here's a quote
    "Although not specifically listed as a prohibited method on the WADA Prohibited List, boosting is a performance-enhancing method utilized by athletes with cervical or high thoracic spinal injuries to overcome the loss of endurance and fatigue caused by dysautonomic disorders. To gain performance benefits immediately before competition, some para-athletes have deliberately induced a condition called autonomic dysreflexia by introducing a painful stimuli to the lower body. Athletes who boost have used a variety of practices to create a dysreflexic state, such as blocking catheters, excessively tightening straps, or sitting on sharp objects."

-- sourcE:
    https://www.usada.org/what-is-boosting-and-why-is-it-dangerous/

When I used to do marathons and 10K's in race chair I heard rumors that some folks would not cath intentionally before a race to boost performance.

yep. i reflex void while training and my hr goes up increasing power while im going from light ad, it gives me a big boost. cant imagine doing it for any length of time though,
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

A dangerous practice in some athletes (and not just in the Paralympics) that is discouraged. Studies have shown that the increase in blood pressure from intentionally causing AD for sports activities has a minor advantage in sprint activities (such as a 100m race), but not in endurance activities (such as road racing or court sports).

In addition, while blood pressure does increase in AD, typically pulse rate DECREASES, so it does not in actuality increase blood flow or oxygenation significantly.

While it not on the WADA prohibited practices/doping list, it is on the IPC's list as prohibited.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4610764/

https://www.autonomicneuroscience.co...081-4/fulltext

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.