Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medicare enrollment and wait period

Medicare enrollment and wait period

I got a letter in the mail today about enrolling in Medicare (again). It said that if I do this like, soon, I'll have Medicare by the summer. It listed the prices for A and B, and other options. Here's the scoop...back in 2003-ish I did a year of SSDI, but have been working since with employer insurance.

My question is...did that SSDI stint back then automatically put me in the 'disabled' bin, and fulfill my 2 year wait period for Medicare to be in-effect should I actually pay for it?

I'd be curious if I can add this option to the possibilities list for retirement before hitting 54 and being able to do employer retiree insurance, or saving on having to pay for Cobra coverage for 2 years before the Medicare 'wait' qualification runs through, if I don't make it to 54 and be still working.

I don't have an answer for you, but am curious to see what others have experienced. Temporarily being medicared again might be a nice way to have insurance for an extended vacation at some point in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    having to pay for Cobra coverage for 2 years before the Medicare 'wait' qualification runs through, if I don't make it to 54 and be still working.
    With regard to this you can do Obamacare instead of Cobra and probably save a boat-ton load of money... no idea what Cobra is, but if it's still like $1500 a month or whatever you can probably beat that with an ACA plan. Of course medicare is almost certainly a better deal if you can do that.

Yes. SSDI = Medicare. If your employer is a large company and their insurance is good then decline B until you don't have insurance. If you work for a small company or your insurance sucks then opt for B or an Advantage plan.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

A should be free.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

This must be a mixup or a scam. If you are still working you are ineligible for Medicare at your age. Is there some way you could check your SS account on ssa.gov to see if they are crediting you with work quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post

With regard to this you can do Obamacare instead of Cobra and probably save a boat-ton load of money... no idea what Cobra is, but if it's still like $1500 a month or whatever you can probably beat that with an ACA plan. Of course medicare is almost certainly a better deal if you can do that.
    I figured it out a while ago, IIRC the first 18 months of Cobra would be like 7K a year, and the last 6 months (available 'cause I'm 'disabled') would be the equivalent of like 9K/year. Pretty sure those are correct ballpark numbers. I think I would stick with Cobra, as I believe it wouldn't have the distinct odor of canid feces like something off an ACA website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    A should be free.
    I think I'd have to live under a bridge for that, right? Like under 4132 income/mo and 4000 'resource limit' (according to the letter I got)

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    This must be a mixup or a scam. If you are still working you are ineligible for Medicare at your age. Is there some way you could check your SS account on ssa.gov to see if they are crediting you with work quarters.
    I'm sort of thinking that they have me pegged under the auto-qualify for SSDI SCI condition. I recall about 2 years after getting SSDI they started sending me Medicare stuff. Maybe the offer is still open and they count the 2 year wait since then? I dunno. I checked the SS website, they are still crediting worked and taxed quarters/years

Anyway, the letter below seems to suggest that if I send them money, I'll have insurance the same year. This surely does encourage me to become a ward of the state sooner, as the no longer shelling out $$$ for expensive health insurance before making the Medicare grade is an incentive...bad government, lol. Or I could wait till 54 to get the 'magic number' employer retirement and corresponding insurance. That would make more sense, but pulling the plug earlier sure would be nice. Decisions...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We got the same letter with the same pricing.

If he signed up for Medicare A&B, he'd also need to purchase Part D to cover prescriptions. Medicare A&B only cover 80% of the "allowable charge" so he'd need his workplace insurance to become the supplement in case he had a hospitalization, outpatient surgery or really expensive diagnostic testing

A good, employer subsidized PPO health plan with prescription coverage would probably cover more than Medicare A, B and D once the annual deductible has been met.

Once he's no longer able to work we can sign up for all the Medicare stuff during the annual Medicare Special Enrollment Period and have his workplace insurance be the supplement. That would still be a much cheaper option than COBRA.

It's that or put him on my employers health insurance.

Somewhere, a Canadian CareCure member is smiling.

I think the waiting period (24 mos) maybe would not apply for you, check ssa.gov, as a prior recipient but you cannot be working and receiving Medicare. You may want to check with SSA to be sure they are currently crediting your work quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Somewhere, a Canadian CareCure member is smiling.
    You think?

Funny thing is, I don't really need health insurance for any possible 2 year gap. I have such a stockpile of cath stuff I could run uninsured just fine. But the "what if's" come to mind...never know what SCI might bring to the table. But if the last 15+ years are any indication...don't need it. But I know the medical industry cabal is just salivating for me to become a 'customer'...and their lawyers and 'Charge Master' are at the ready

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I think the waiting period (24 mos) maybe would not apply for you, check ssa.gov, as a prior recipient but you cannot be working and receiving Medicare. You may want to check with SSA to be sure they are currently crediting your work quarters.
    They are crediting them, just checked. Maybe I'll call someday with that theoretical and see if I can get an accurate answer. Somehow I do have my doubts they would know what the computer would spit out should I toss in my Medicare application

Funny thing is, I don't really need health insurance for any possible 2 year gap. I have such a stockpile of cath stuff I could run uninsured just fine. But the "what if's" come to mind...never know what SCI might bring to the table. But if the last 15+ years are any indication...don't need it.
    Shit happens. Having a SCI does not make you immune to the challenges to your health that come with getting older. You could get cancer, have heart disease, get injured in a MVA, get diagnosed with another chronic disease (diabetes, hypertension, etc.), and in addition to outpatient care and meds, need hospitalization. It's not cheap. Huge medical bills not covered by insurance is the number one reason in the USA for filing personal bankruptcy. Until we get universal health care, keep your ass covered.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.