Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIH Conference on SCI Research

NIH Conference on SCI Research

This conference will not be addressing only Cure research, but that will be included. It is open to anyone with an interest in SCI-related research.

Meeting Date(s):

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 to Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Natcher Conference Center, NIH Campus
    Bethesda, Maryland
    United States

Registration Date(s):

Monday, September 3, 2018 to Monday, February 4, 2019
    • National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
    • National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research (NICHD/NCMRR)

https://meetings.ninds.nih.gov/Home/Index/21041

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It would be interesting to know their definition of 'Disruption'

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    It would be interesting to know their definition of 'Disruption'
    Look on the page above. It describes the goal as:

The goal of the 'SCI 2020: Launching a Decade for Disruption in Spinal Cord Injury Research' conference is to initiate discussion across the SCI research community to launch a new decade of research that disrupts traditional barriers and brings about collaborative efforts to address the key research questions in spinal cord injury research.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Look on the page above. It describes the goal as:

[/SIZE]

(KLD)
    Thanks, so they don't yet have the plan for disruption, this conference will come up with how they are going to disrupt?
    Let's hope they come up with something disruptive, because the cynical side of me looks at the agenda and sees no disruption.

Thanks for sharing. I think I'll attend.
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    Thanks, so they don't yet have the plan for disruption, this conference will come up with how they are going to disrupt?
    Let's hope they come up with something disruptive, because the cynical side of me looks at the agenda and sees no disruption.
    I can't see any disruption either and I don't expect any disruption coming from the speakers.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

all acute agenda... Terribly impractical... Might even go so far to say a "damn shame". by now it should be a no-brainer to all; especially the scientific community that research and trials on chronic injuries is more feasible
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Note that anyone can attend this conference. A perfect "disrupter" would be for a bunch of people with SCI/D attend and bring up these issues in the Q&A sessions.

(KLD)

Unfortunately the establishment has no desire to disrupt the status quo.

Disruption would be taking current promising research to market in a timely manner, not going back to the labs to refine, or move onto other things that might be interesting to them.
    Hopefully Matthew and Rob will tell them that.

Having said that I see Courtine is going to be there, promising a unicorn when all we want is a pony.
    Last edited by niallel; 12-02-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Open letter to the NIH re. "Launching a decade for disruption in SCI research"

Dear all,
    Today I sent an open letter to Dr. Jakeman from the NIH to express my serious worries regarding the agenda of the upcoming conference: "SCI 2010 - Launching a decade for disruption in SCI research".
    Three chapters in the letter:
    - ACUTE injuries first on the Agenda? For us and with us?
    - CHRONIC SCI ? E-stim and robotics: is this the best we can do?
    - What about... Disruption into recovery rather than just continuing to make our paralysis more bearable?

My feeling is that the SCI community shares these worries. Am I right?
    Meanwhile the open letter was published on the endParalysis foundation website and you can read it here: https://endparalysis.org/nih-disrupt...jury-research/

Thanks for your comments and sharing.
    Corinne