Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Power Chair Charger and Insurance in Canada

  1. #1

    Power Chair Charger and Insurance in Canada

    Hey Everyone,

    I have a Permobil F5 that was donated to me by a charitable organization.

    I had to replace the charger due to accidental damage and it cost me $680.

    Does insurance generally cover replacement chargers? I spoke to a representative at our insurance company, but she seemed a few fries short of a happy meal.

    WG

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

    I have a Permobil F5 that was donated to me by a charitable organization.

    I had to replace the charger due to accidental damage and it cost me $680.

    Does insurance generally cover replacement chargers? I spoke to a representative at our insurance company, but she seemed a few fries short of a happy meal.

    WG

    I'm not sure about Canada but in the US donated chairs are usually the users responsibility. I would source the charitable org for a charger as well as local shops and eBay for suitable used chargers.

  3. #3
    If your provincial insurance didn't provide the wheelchair, they won't pay for parts/repair.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    If your provincial insurance didn't provide the wheelchair, they won't pay for parts/repair.
    Yes, I figured as much, but we also have private insurance. When I had insurance through Manulife, they covered parts for my powerchair.

    I was simply wondering if private insurance would reimburse me for the charger.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    Yes, I figured as much, but we also have private insurance. When I had insurance through Manulife, they covered parts for my powerchair.

    I was simply wondering if private insurance would reimburse me for the charger.
    If your Canadian private insurance is like ones here the answer is no.
    When still working my insurance only covered current durable medical equipment they had covered and no parts or repairs for any backup or anything we had bought out-of-pocket.
    They even sent a nice letter telling us that batteries and seat cushion would not be covered that needed for backup powerchair after DME had submitted a claim and I think re-submitted it again.

    Now I only have Medicare. As far as I can tell no backup durable medical equipment is covered either.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2018, 10:17 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-24-2015, 06:55 PM
  3. Power chair thru private insurance?
    By willingtocope in forum Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM
  4. Insurance And Power Chair Coverage Questions
    By GroovyWheeler in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
  5. Insurance denied permobil power chair
    By Regine in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •